We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin to Coburg

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin to Coburg

Hi,

Can anyone please help me? I am travelling to Coburg and wish to know the best and easiest way to get there. I recently travelled Ryanair to Frankfurt Hahn and then after a coach, 3 trains and 8 hours later I arrived - NEVER AGAIN!

I am informed that I can get an ICE train from Berlin to Leichtenfels and then a local train from there to Coburg? Has anyone done this journey before? How long is the ICE train from Berlin to Leichtenfels and are the trains frequest from Berlin to here please? Many thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin to Coburg

This web-page should help ;)

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Check if flying into Nürnberg/Nuremberg is an option for you, that is the closest airport.

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin to Coburg

We did look at the Nuremberg but the flights from UK are so expensive which is why we were flying to Berlin and taking a train from there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Consider also flying into Stuttgart with the possible airlines www.germanwings.com , www.airberlin.com and www.tuifly.com , as well as the more conventional airlines.

You can probably get Rail&Fly tickets for 25€ from there to Coburg, or else regular 42€ tickets. This takes 5:08 to 5:18 hours with 2-3 changes, compared to Berlin Schönfeld Airport for 62-76€ with 3-4 changes and 5:16-5:32 travel time. Of course, you also may be able to use Rail&Fly tickets from Berlin.

Oh, I find the website listed in #1 to be an inferior one, I much prefer www.bahn.com which has the same information but it's more easily accessible.

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Thanks for your help.

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Is the train from Nuremberg to Coburg direct does anyone know please?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Some trains are direct, others require one change. Just use that website I gave.

Edited: 7:05 am, October 03, 2011
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,587 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin to Coburg

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: TXL

Start: SXF

Destination: Coburg

> I am informed that I can get an ICE train from Berlin to Leichtenfels and then a local train from there to Coburg.

This is possible. But you have to add a change to from Tegel (TXL) or Schönefeld (SXF) airport on the ICE in Berlin.

If you want to see details for a connection click on the '>' symbol.

Besides Nuremberg Airport also the airports of Frankfurt (FRA), Munich (MUC) and Stuttgart (STR) are closer than Berlin.

With many airlines (notably not Ryanair and Easyjet) you can buy cheap Rail&Fly tickets which get you from the airport to any train station in Germany.

airberlin.com/site/…

lufthansa.com/online/…

You can also get discounted specials if you buy tickets well in advance. Such specials are howver only good for the connection bought for. Thus not without risk in combination with a flight. If you miss this connection the money for the ticket is lost.

From Munich Airport you have also the chance to travel cheap on a Bayern Ticket to Coburg when sticking to regional trains (travel time 4:48 - 5:22, 2-4 changes). EUR 21 for 1 person. EUR 29 for 2-5 persons traveling together. Always available.

Essex
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin to Coburg

Thanks - most helpful.

Reply to: Berlin to Coburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Coburg
Recent Conversations