We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hello! Would Garmish be a good location to stay for 2 nights to spend one day visiting the Zugspritze, and the next day the Neuschwanstein Castle? Does this plan make sense? We'll be hopping all through Southern Germany so trying to stay in each place for at least a two nighs.

Thank you in advance!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi,

Although we prefer Mittenwald (20 min from Garmisch), I don't see a problem with your plan at all.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Thanks pja60!

Any reason you prefer Mittenwald over Garmisch? We could always look into staying there instead...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi,

We prefer Mittenwald as it's an extremely charming Bavarian village with an alpine backdrop. We stayed here in 4/05 and 10/06 and visited again for a day in 11/10. We found Garmisch to be too busy and more city like. Just a preference. We stayed both times at the Pension Schwalbennestl. Nothing fancy, basic, clean rooms, small balconies with terrific views and a good buffet breakfast. If cost is an issue, it's very reasonable. Even though the website is only in German, you can correspond in simple English. While we had good experiences here, it has mixed reviews on the TripAdvisor website.

www.schwalbennestl.de

worldisround.com/articles/324763/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/343800/index.html

Friends of ours liked their stay at the Hotel-Garni Eldhuber in Mittenwald.

www.edlhuber-mittenwald.de

Paul

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi strodtad,

While I agree that Mittenwald is "nicer" in terms of serenity, prettiness, and closeness to the mountains, it is farther from both of your excursions. If you only wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet, to hike in the mountains, or to make excursions into Austria, then Mittenwald would be the perfect stop.

But to get to the Zugspitze and to Neuschwanstein, Mittenwald will be out of the way.

s

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi

Makes sense to me as I just did that as part of a trip to Germany!

I stayed 3 nights but you can do it in 2 nights. I would suggest that you keep an eye on the weather and do Zugspitze on a clear day. A tip I got at my hotel was to take the Zugspitze train only to Eibensee and from there take the cable car. Its much more scenic and quicker than the train , same ticket.

To get to Neuscwanstein from Garmisch, I took a bus at 7:50 in the morning from outside the train station. I had to transfer to another bus, but the bus driver told me where to get off. A later bus would have been at 9:40 from Garmisch. It takes about 2 hours. When you get to the ticket centre for the castles you can choose whether you want to do Hohenschwangau castle as well as Neuschwanstein. I would recommend both. I was on the English tour at 11:00 at Hohenschwangua and 13:00 at Neuschwanstein.

I think you can also get a train to Fussen and then a bus to the castles.

I stayed at Hotel Garmischer Hof and really enjoyed a lot. Good location to station, shops, restaurants etc.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Thank you all for your feedback! Very helpful! We do prefer smaller, 'cozier' towns, so Mittenwald sounds good, however, maybe not as good as Garmisch from a location standpoint. We will have a car with us...is there another good option that may work well for us that would meet these two criteria? Personally, it doesn't sounds like there's a wrong decision, and everyplace is sounding great! :)

Edited: 11:21 am, January 04, 2013
Launceston, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Berchtesgaden & Meersburg are alternatives to Mittenwald from what I have seen on line, but I am no expert and in need of advice myself. Garmisch and Partenkirken are two separate towns (not sure which is prettier and quieter) but our experts may be able to tell us more about all the places I have mentioned.

Edited: 6:14 pm, January 04, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi,

With a car I'd choose Mittenwald. It's only a 20 minute drive from Mittenwald to Garmisch, so staying here only adds 20 minutes to your drive to Neuschwanstein. From Mittenwald, Neuschwanstein is about 1:30 drive. FYI: "Mad" King Ludwig's Linderhof Palace is close by also.

You could also look into one of the villages in the "Zugspitze Arena" area. This would be less than an hour to Neuschwanstein and just minutes from Ehrwald, Austria, where you can take the cable car to the top of the Zugspitze. Since the Zugspitze sits on the border of Germany and Austria, you can get to the top from either Ehrwald, Austria or Garmisch, Germany. We took the cable car from Ehrwald. It's actually cheaper here than from Garmisch.

www.zugspitzarena.com/en/summer/welcome/

www.zugspitze.at

Me, I'd go with Mittenwald.

Just to add to your "dilema"... you could also stay in Fuessen, if it's a charming old town you'd rather stay in. Neuschwanstein would be 10 minutes away and the Zugspitze from Ehrwald, Austria would be under an hour away.

We stayed twice (10/01 and 10/03) in Fuessen at the Hotel zum Hechten.

www.hotel-hechten.com

Paul

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Hi Anthony,

While we've never been here, Meersburg is on the Bodensee and about 2.5 hours from Neuschwanstein/Fuessen. Not a logical option to visit Neuschwanstein or the Zugspitze.

Berchtesgaden is about 3.5 hours drive from Neuschwanstein. While we love the Berchtesgaden area, it's clearly not an option for a base to visit Neuschwanstein and the Zugspitze. Berchtesgaden, in my opinion, is an ideal place to base to visit Salzburg (30 min. away) and the Salzkammergut area (1 - 1.5 hours away).

Paul

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garmisch-Partenkirchen for two nights

Went to both in December 2012 and preferred Garmish over Mittenwald. Of course if you are there over a Sunday, then there will be more to do in Garmish. Mittenwald was charming, but restaurant options, etc. were more plentiful in Garmish, and getting anywhere from Garmish was easier.