We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
3 posts
Save Topic
Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hello,

I would like to take a day trip from Munich to Garmish to go up Zugspitze and also would like to see the Partnachklamm ravine/gorge. It will be in early June, I will not have a car. Is it possible to do both sites in one day by public transport and then return back to Munich in the evening?

Thank you.

Edited: 9:25 pm, April 22, 2012
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Emerald Diva,

Going up the mountain is always weather dependant and a matter of luck. We couldn't see anything on Jungfraujoch or Mt Rigi last year because it was rather cloudy on both occasions, but since we were there, we had to take the cable cars/trains up.

I believe it will be the same this time around too. Comes rain or shine, nothing is going to stop me from taking Zugspitzebahn up the mountain. :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

thanks eldnik for getting back to your original post, I'm now considering adding the Partnachklamm to our Zugspitze outing (depends whether the 16yr old who has never seen snow will leave the mountaintop, though).

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Kelate68,

Oh I would never suggest not going up the mountain. Our first time was on a lovely sunny day, views for miles around. The 2nd time was in heavy snow, coldn't see a thing, still fun though.

What I was trying to say was that your choices for way up/down may be limited by weather conditions. The Eibsee cable car was closed when we went up on the good day, so we had no choice but to take the railway. It was open when we came down. It is very nice to do the round trip.

Ozzie 201o,

Definetely add the Partnachklamm is you can. It is pretty amazing. Do check whether it is open though. It was closed, due to dangerous conditions, the whole 4 days we were in Garmisch-Pertenhirchen. It opened again a couple of days later and we drove back from Fussen just to visit. It was well worth it.

14. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen