We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Plymouth...
3 posts
Save Topic
Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hello,

I would like to take a day trip from Munich to Garmish to go up Zugspitze and also would like to see the Partnachklamm ravine/gorge. It will be in early June, I will not have a car. Is it possible to do both sites in one day by public transport and then return back to Munich in the evening?

Thank you.

Edited: 9:25 pm, April 22, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Yes.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hi eldnik,

The train up to the Zugspitze takes about an hour from Garmisch, and trains leave once an hour at .15 past the hour. The Zugspitze train station is out the back of the Garmisch train station. Trains coming down leave at .30 past the hour. So, you could leave München at 08.32, arrive in Garmisch at 09.58, catch the train up to the Zugspitze at 10.15, and be on top of the mountain at 11.30. After spending an hour up there, you could come down at 12.30 and be back in Garmisch at 13.50.

To get to the Partnach Klamm, walk out the front of the train station and take an immediate left; walk to the green circle bus stop (same side of the street as the bus stop). Busses come by about every 15 or 20 minutes, and the trip to the ski stadium will take about 10 minutes. So, you could be at the ski stadium by about 14.30 or so. The walk up the Partnach Klamm takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

I hope you'll also give yourself time to walk through the town of Garmisch and admire the buildings and the atmosphere of the town. The main pedestrian street is about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Plymouth...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Thank you very much for your detailed information, it was everything I wanted to know!

I'm looking forward to my day in Garmish.

Plymouth...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hi swandav,

I would like to thank you very much - I followed your directions and was able to enjoy both Zugspitze and Partnach Klamm. I was lucky to have a nice sunny day on June 7, and it happened to be a Bavarian holiday, so I was able to purchase a Bayern ticket and use it on a train from Munich before 9:00. The time to get to Zugspitze and back still took a half day (it was crowded due to the holiday and a nice day). Even though I was in Garmish before 10:00, there was a line to get tickets to the Zugspitze and I missed the next train up. I took the cogweel train up and then the cable car to the top, it was such a beautiful scenery, even visited the restaurant with the amazing view. On the way back I took the cable car down to Eibsee, then the train to Garmish.

Partnach Klamm was easy to get to (thanks to your directions), and I liked it very much. The park and the surrounding area was beautiful and very pieceful. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay long - was stressed out about getting back to Munich, it was after 18:00 when I left the park.

I can't thank you enough for helping me to plan and enjoy that wonderful day in Garmish.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Thanks for the update eldnik! I'm glad you enjoyed your day!

s

Lohr am Main...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hi ,

I was planning to go Zugspitze this weekend .

Please let me know whether snow will available this time.

what all ways we can travel to Zugspitze from garmisch?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hi srini k,

Yes, there is always some snow on the Zugspitze. Not a lot, of course, but some.

When you get to the Garmisch train station, take the tunnel to the other end of the station -- there are signs pointing you to the Zugspitze Bahnhof.

Then go to the cashier, buy a ticket, and get on the train!

The trains only run once an hour, so you may want to know the schedule so you'll know how long you'll have to wait.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Lohr am Main...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Hi swandav,

Thanks for your reply,

I checked last train from zugspitze to garmisch is 4.30 PM if we miss this train is there any way to come garmisch.

Thanks,

srini k

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

eldnik,

Glad that you managed to do both Partnachklamm and Zugspitze on the same day FROM Munich. I will doing the same thing but from GP later this month.

Which route is better to Zugspitze - ascending using Eibsee cable car and descending using cogwheel train or the other way around. I would like to try both means of transportation.

srini k,

Other than Zugspitze Bergbahn, you can also use blue bus from Eibsee to Garmisch. The winter timetable for the buses is here.

zugspitze.de/en/…oeffnungszeiten.htm

The buses from Eibsee run at hourly interval and depart at 10mins past the hour. The last bus is at 8.10pm.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zugspitze and Partnachklamm ravine

Kelate68;

We have just recently returned from Bavaria. On the day we did the Zugspitze, a beautiful sunny day, , the Eibsee cable car was closed in the morning, so we went up on the railway to the glacier, then the short cable car to the summit. By the time we wanted to leave in the afternoon, the Eibsee cable car was open and we went down that way.

We went up the Zugspitze again (I really liked it!) a couple of days later, in poor weather, and the Eibsee cable car was closed the whole time due to strong winds.

So your choices may be weather dependant.

I liked descending to Eibsee, lovely views of the lake and if you have time you can walk around it.

Enjoy Ga-Pa and the Zugspitze, we loved the area.

Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen