We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Partnach Gorge

Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Partnach Gorge

I'm going to give this its own thread as I think it might have been overlooked appended to the thread where I originally put it.

I am a little confused by some of the directions I have read about how to get to the Gorge. Is it possible to take the Eckbauerbahn from the Olympic Stadium, walk down to the top of the Gorge from the top station and then carry on through the Gorge to the bottom? And how long approximately would that take for a couple of not hugely athletic fortysomethings?

Also if anyone knows the answer to my question about World Cup skiing tickets, that would be great too.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,256 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

Hi Gub-Gub01,

I'm not sure I understand your question -- it seems that you are only doing the walk in reverse of the normal direction. Of course, you can do the walk in either direction that you want.

It's a pleasant and easy walk, maybe 30 or 45 minutes.

Have fun!

s

Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

Hi swandav.

I wasn't aware that it was in reverse but what I want to do if possible is go up the Eckbauerbahn and then walk from the top to the bottom via the gorge. I'm just trying to check whether that is possible at all and in particular in winter. Also it would be good to know how far it is from the top station of the Eckbauerbahn to the gorge.

Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,058 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

This tour (#3) is listed under the hiking tours possible in winter.

eckbauerbahn.de/bilder/wanderwegewinter_gros…

Eckbauerbahn cable car: 15 min

Eckbauer - Forsthaus Graseck - Partnach Gorge: ~ 2 hours

You can cut this a bit short if you use the Graseck cable car from Forsthaus Graseck to the Forsthaus Graseck parking lot.

Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

Thanks abalada.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

It is surely possible. You are facing a downhill walk, partly rather steep, on potentially slippery ground, though. The paths are cleared so there is no deep snow, but there is still snow and ice on the ground. Downhill the danger of slipping is much larger than uphill, which is why most people walk uphill and take the cable car down. Having snow chains or spikes to attach to your shoes would certainly be a good idea. If you own hiking poles, these would be nice to have.

Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

Thank you. That is good news. I have hiking poles with snow baskets and my boots are specially designed for walking on snow and ice so I should be ok. Just over a week until I shall be there now. I am looking forward to it.

7. Re: Getting to Partnach Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 09, 2013