We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

irish wedding in garmisch

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Topic
irish wedding in garmisch

Help ! does anyone know how an Irish girl can organise her wedding to be in Garmisch next Christmas?? I am searching the net but not sure where to start, I've only been there twice before.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: irish wedding in garmisch

Germany only recognizes civil ceremonies, so you cannot actually be legally married in a church but can only have a church service. If you are going to be married in a Catholic church, you will also have to meet the requirements for such a marriage (no prior marriage and divorce, etc.). I don't know if you knew this or not, but it is the first thing to know about marriage in Germany.

My wife and I were married in a civil ceremony in the US (to meet the German marriage requirement and have the marriage recognized in Germany) and later had a church ceremony in Germany. (You should know the laws of Ireland on this and their recogntion of marriages.) However, we could not have a church marriage in Germany in the Catholic church she wanted (Steinhausen, called the most beautiful village church in the world) because I was previously married and divorced, but we found an acceptable alternative as we got married in a Protestant ceremony in a protestant/catholic church in nearby Biberach where the two denominations have been sharing the same magnificent church for hundreds of years. Of course, a church wedding also involves acceptance by the church you are getting married in.

I hope that I have been of some assistance to you.

Congratulations and good luck!

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question