We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

South Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

Hi. We are an American couple who will be spending 2 days in Munich followed by 5 days in Garmisch. Is it easy (and convenient) to rent a car in Garmisch, or, should I rent from a major company like Hertz or Budget upon arrival at the Munich airport. Is Munich a difficult city for an American to drive around in?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

>Is it easy (and convenient) to rent a car in Garmisch, or, should I rent from a major company like Hertz or Budget upon arrival at the Munich airport.

I would suggest renting a car in Garmisch from one of the major companies like Hertz or Sixt or Europcar - so you save 2 days of rental fees.

>Is Munich a difficult city for an American to drive around in?

For an American and for an non-American - driving isn´t the issue, parking is. And it is absolutely unnecessary in a city like Munich.

South Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

I thought the rented car ride from the Airport to the Munich hotel alone would save us in high taxi fees along with the train ride to and from Garmisch. Is parking also difficult at the Olympic Stadium, BMW museum, and ares in the outskirts like that?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

>I thought the rented car ride from the Airport to the Munich hotel alone would save us in high taxi fees

Who needs taxi - just take S1 or S8 from the airport to the city. 18 Euro day ticket for up to 5 people.

>along with the train ride to and from Garmisch.

I really don´t think that 2 days car rental plus parking fees plus gas are less expensive than the train tickets.

>Is parking also difficult at the Olympic Stadium, BMW museum, and ares in the outskirts like that?

German cities are not hal covered with huge parking lots like US ones. The parking there is usually for residents.

What´s wrong with just taking the subway to the Olympic Stadium and the BMW museum (they are across each other and above the Olympic stadium station of the U3)?

Boston
Level Contributor
220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

Rental car companies in Germany whack you a 19% surcharge to the total rental price just to pick up a car at the airport or train station.

Always rent a car at one of the city locations of the rental car company by taking a taxi or S-bahn there from the airport.

Munich is an easier city to drive in than many other German cities in my experience and opinion but parking and traffic can still be a problem on weekdays. In good weather the highways in and around Munich often have traffic jams on the weekends.

I would rent your car in the city and drive to Garmisch. About an hour on the A95. As always ask for a GPS navigation system with your rental.

South Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

Thanks to both of you. Do you think it will be difficult to lug heavy luggage in the train from the airport to the Arabella Grand Sheraton after getting off a long flight with no sleep?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

The easiest way would be to take a train to Ostbahnhof and a taxi from there. I don´t know how hard it will be after a long night with no sleep, but at least you don´t need to navigate heavy traffic in an unfamiliar city after a sleepless night, and don´t need to pay taxi fees for >40 km distance.

As to dragging your luggage - I don´t see any problem as long as it is wheeled...

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

As altamiro is saying-- Munich is NOT an easy city in which to use a car. Sure, the streets are not much more congested than most american cities but parking can be a nightmare-- and when you do find it, it will probably be in an underground garage and the space will be about 25% smaller than what you are used to in the US. Munich has a wonderful transportation system and the day use partner tickets are a bargain. MUCH cheaper than a $70 taxi from the airport.

Avis and Hertz both have offices in Garmisch, Avis about three blocks from the Hauptbahnhof on St. Martin Strasse, Hertz a little further on Zugspitstrasse. I imagine that Sixt and others have offices too. Rentals there are about 20% per day cheaper than renting from the Munich airport (or Munich train station) Plus, if you take the train to Garmisch and rent a car, and decide that you don't want to take the train back, there is no drop off fee to drive the car to the Munich airport to drop it off-- plus you avoid the 19% concession fee.

So-- why not buy take the S-bahn to Munich from the airport, and then a much less expensive cab ride to the hotel. When you are ready to go to Garmisch, buy a Bavarian Lander Ticket for the railroad (good for up to 5 adults for one day on the S-Bahn or any railroad in bavaria), take the train to Garmisch and then a cab (or walk) to where you have rented a car in Garmisch. When finished, drive the car to the airport.

8. Re: Car Rental in Munich/Garmisch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 08, 2009