We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zugspitze from Garmisch

Which Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
zugspitze from Garmisch

Reading some other postings and found the website www.zugspitze.de/zugspitze/index_en.php. Went there but since some is in German, I am still confused. I am on a bus tour and have the afternoon free in Garmisch. Could I make it on the train from Garmisch to the cable car up the mountain and back in an afternoon? I will be there Oct 10th if that helps. Also the price of 49 euros, is that just for the cable car or the train too? Of cxourse I will wait and see if the day is nice first. Thanks.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Round trip is EUR 47,00. I.e. you can use the cogwheel train up to the Zugspitze and the cable car down.

www.zugspitze.de/zugspitze/rundreise_en.php

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Carefully read the schedule and compare it to your bus tour schedule. The Zugspitze is beautiful, if the day is clear -- and I certainly encourage you to see it but a few things you should know:

--the Zugspitze train station is not the DB station, it's close, but across the tracks.

--there are two ways up the mountain from the station. Both start out taking the Zugspitzbahn train. You can take the train all the way to the Zugspitze station on the mountain, or you can get off at the Eibsee at the base of the mountain, station, walk over to the cable car lift, and take the gondola to the summit. Or you could do it in reverse--take the train up, then take the cable car down and walk over and catch the train back atthe Eibsee station--- or take the train both ways. Double check at the train station when you get your ticket to confirm that it is also good on the cable car, and what the cable car schedule is, in the event that you want to try it.

--Arriving at the Zugspitze station on the train, you are not at the summit-- you are at the ski station in the middle of the snowbowl, still several hundred feet below the summit. A cablecar (included in the price of your ticket) takes you up to the summit area where you get the best views. Your views on the train are not impressive as you spend twenty minutes going through a winding tunnel in the middle of the mountain, so take the car to the summit.

-- the train leaves Garmisch once an hour, at 15 minutes after, and takes about 1hr and a half to get to the Zugspitze station. You can figure another 15 to 20 minutes to get to the summit on the cable car, then about 30-45 minutes at least, just to walk around. Take that into account when you are figuring when you have to get back to meet the train departure.

minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Thank you both so much. In rechecking the web sight from adalada with what EdUSA sent and the wonderful options listed, it makes it so much clearer. The time restraints may be a problem but we do stay in Garmisch that night so as long as we get an early enough start we should be OK. The Globus tour does offer a tour as an optional tour for $75 USD which looking at the exchange rate is only about $10 more per person but do not know if it needs to be booked ahead of time. Also it is probable by bus and the train would be fun. Any input on that. Will see how it all works out. Thanks.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Looking at the GLOBUS site, I would guess that you are taking the European Highlights tour and staying at the Best Western Obermuhle. You should enjoy it. The description of the optional Zugspitze tour does indicate that you would be taking a bus to the Cable gar at the bottom of the mountain and using that for the trip up. Stand at the back and turn around-- you will get a great view of the valley below and the Eibsee.

I believe that the dinner option that they mention is at the Frauendorfer-- definitely one of the best Bavarian entertainment dinners around. If all dinners are not included and you wish to eat out at a Bavarian restaurant, then I suggest that you leave the motel (If its the Best Western), turn left on Zugspitstrasse towards town, and walk several blocks to the Marianplatz. On the far right corner, across a side street from McDonalds, is Ilsi's Golden Angel. Real good bavarian menu in a country inn setting at a decent price.

If you decide to do theZugspitz on your own, It is a bit of a walk (not bad though) to the Zugspitzbahnhof--just go to the Marianplatz, walk up the Alpspitzstrasse several long blocks to St MartinStrasse, and take it several more long blocks to the Bahnhof. You can also catch the bus at the corner by the motel-- only costs about a euro.

For more information, try http://www.zugspitze.de/main_en.php

For information on Garmisch, try www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de/de/index.html…

Finally-- the tourist information office by the Kongresshall at the end of the pedestrian office is a great source of free maps and reasonably priced Garmisch branded souvenirs.

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Darn fumble fingers-- I meant that the Tourist Information office is located at the end of the Pedestrian Area, not "office"

minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

Yes, we are staying at BW Obermuhle. The other info is greatly appreciated too. I had seen postings about Ilsi's Golden Angel and had thought that would be a great place to try for supper-that is one of two we are on our own for. Hopefully it will be much cheaper than the $51 USD for the dinner with entertainment and a different experience. I suppose if we want music we can hit a pub or something. Although we are not real partyers. Thanks again!

7. Re: zugspitze from Garmisch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Garmisch-Partenkirchen