We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interior of Neuschwanstein

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
510 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Interior of Neuschwanstein

In an earlier posting, it was mentioned that if you have seen Linderhof that there might be better time spent elsewhere if the interior of Newschwanstein is skipped. We will also have seen Herrenchiemsee.

What do others think about skipping the interior tour? Guess it is possible to walk up to the castle gate without buying a tour ticket. Would want to get close, at least.

Also apparently there are buses and horse-drawn carriages to get you to within what is supposed to be a 10 minute walk to the castle. The castle website says it is a 30 minute walk uphill from the town. Don't think the climb will be a problem for us. Sounds like the carriage and buses only saves a little time and then only if there is no waiting for either. Thoughts?

Edited: 4:30 pm, April 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

yes, there are some parts of the castle which are not fully completed, but it is still worth a tour. pretty pointless to just have a look from the outside. wagner room is interesting!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
510 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

Do you know if they are in the process of completing the other rooms and, is so, what the time frame is for completion. Thanks.

Did you also visit the Hohenschwangau castle and what did you think of it?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

I don't believe there are plans to complete other rooms, but what is completed is so over the top, I personally would not miss it. It is very different to Herrenchiemsee or Linderhof, and was my favourite of all Ludwig's castles. I didn't love Hohenschwangau castle so much, but they are so close so it seems a shame not to see both. The Museum of the Bavarian Kings is worth a look as well.

It would only be a 30 min walk up the hill if you take it at a very leisurely pace. It is not a tough walk at all unless you have mobility/fitness issues.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

No, they are not completing the other rooms. The rooms are pretty much as they were at Ludwig's death. It is an interesting story.

We toured Hohenschwangau on the same day and found the tours of both castles to be very worthwhile.

But if you don't want to tour the castles, it is very easy to come up, park, and then wander around the outside and the surrounding area all you want.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

I would think that as long as you are there, you should see the ornate interior. Also worthwhile is Hohenschwangau, where Ludwig actually grew up. If you have a car, the amazing rococo wonder Wies Kirche, on the UNESCO World Heritage List, is nearby and worth a visit too.

It's definitely not a hard walk up the mountain. If you do decide to see the interior, you should reserve your tour tickets on line ahead of time, to avoid the long line for same day tickets.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

The carriages are for people who want a romantic castle experience. And the buses for those who have trouble walking. If you don't, you can walk, no problem. And yes, you can get right next to the castle without a ticket. (When I visited, I skipped the interior tour as well, because I've seen so many castles, and to me, one's like the other.)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

Oh, it is personal preference of course, but the interior of Neuschwanstein is certainly not like any other castle.

East Lothian, UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

The interior really doesn't take that long. Going to the gate and not going in would seem strange to me. Besides, there are great views of the surrounding area from some windows that you don't get from the gate.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

We really enjoyed the interior tour, but I understand that some people think it is a waste of time and money - the tour is short and because it is very popular, you will be on the tour with a bunch of other people. It is what it is and as long as you are expecting that, you won't be disappointed. I found the unfinished parts as interesting as the finished rooms - I liked seeing what was under all the splendor.

The views from the outside are really neat too and there are some great hiking trails in the area. It all just depends on how you want to spend your time. The walk to the castle is pretty easy though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interior of Neuschwanstein

Hi,

While I wasn't crazy about the interior of Neuschwanstein (liked Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee much better inside), I would tour it since you're right there. Hohenschwangau tour was certainly worthwhile. Liked it better than Neuschwanstein, but that's just my opinion.