We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passion Play

Rhode Island
3 posts
Save Topic
Passion Play

I've just seen a flyer on the Passion Play, is it truly a once in a lifetime experience? Has anyone been and what is the draw, is it the spectacle or the feeling of the power and glory.

Thanks

Eileen

North Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Passion Play

I waited to see if someone would replay that had attended the PP, but no one did, so I'll give my two cents worth! I've never been to the play, so my information is worth about two cents! We plan to go, and are planning a trip for a group of about 12 from my church. I think that some people view this trip as a spiritual pilgrimage, some enjoy the play because of its history, some enjoy it because so many people are involved in putting this huge drama together, etc. I have talked to people who have seen it and they just can't say enough about how wonderful it is. So, now I want to see it for myself! The official website for the PP is here:

http://pilatushaus.de/index.php?id=60

Kathrine

Lancashire
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Passion Play

My husband and I went to Oberammergau in 2000. It is indeed a once in a lifetime experience but we are greedy and have just booked again for 2010.

You do need to book as soon as you can as it soon gets booked up.

It is the whole experience, the emotion, the spectacle, the knowledge that so many people have dedicated such a large amount of their lives to take part.

One thing that impressed us was the wonderful quietness of the nearly 5000 people as they left the theatre. Can't wait for 2010.

Beejay

Mentioned in this post
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Brunswick, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passion Play

Brush up on your German, no translation services are available. You can only purchase a Package (hotel, dinner, tickets) now from the website listed above. Advance tickets without a package will start in Spring of 2009.

Chelan, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passion Play

Is the play in German? My husband said he doen't think he would want to go unless it is done in english so one can understand? If it is in German is it still as emotional and enjoyable?

Thanks,

Pam

North Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Passion Play

Yes, it's in German. I've talked to many English speaking people who have been and the fact that it is in German was never brought up as an issue. They do have a program or guide type thing that you receive when you enter, but the storyline is so familiar, I would think that it wouldn't be needed!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passion Play

>My husband said he doen't think he would want to go unless it is done in english so one can understand?

Back in the 17th century when the tradition was started (the plays are a way to thank god for having spared the village from pestilence), having foregn tourists was not really an issue.

Chelan, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passion Play

I agree that we would be able to follow the play in any language, especially if it is done well, which everyone says that it is. I also thought it would be a good excuse at the same time to see Germany. There are a ton of tour companies that have tours that include the Passion Play, but Cosmos has one that just goes to Germany. Most include other countries. I believe the play goes from May into September. I was thinking of either June or early September. We have done trips on our own, but Germany is a big company and we probably can cover more with a tour, plus we are senior's and appreciate tours more now than ever.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
8. Re: Passion Play

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 03, 2009