We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Oberamergau

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Oberamergau

Hi All,

I am planning for a day stay in Oberamergau.

1.Are there any direct trains or buses from Munich. If so what are the timmings and the travel time.

2. Is there any public transport from Oberamergau to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein.

3. Any other places worth visiting?

Looking ahead for your suggestions. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

8 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,348 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

Hi Suvendu B,

No, there are no direct trains or busses that link Munich & Oberammergau (please watch spelling). The connections I saw require a change in Munich-Pasing as well as in Murnau.

You can get all the information you need on the departure time, track number, changes, etc, at the German rail site

www.bahn.com

Use the same site for information on the trip from Oberammergau to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein.

Oh yes, there are dozens of places worth visiting in/around Munich! Some of my favorites are the towns of Füssen, Murnau, and Mittenwald, and the city of Augsburg.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

As @swandav has said, trains require change overs. Alternatively, you can travel by bus. www.bahn.com allows you to search for connections based on travel dates and times. I would recommend you include Ettal abbey. If you are staying longer, I would recommend adding Weiskirche, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Zugspitze if time permits. I recently toured Bavaria for a week in the month of May. I am based in Bangalore. If you need, I can guide you over the phone / in-person. Send me a PM. Happy travels!

tennesee
Level Contributor
536 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

While in the area you can do a visit to Ettal Abbey. On the bus line between Oberammergau and Linderhof.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

Thanks Chetan for the reply. Really appreciate your help. I will send you a private message for more information.

Conestoga...
Level Contributor
357 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

In addition to Oberammergau and the other places mentioned above, you would also be close Ludwig II's other castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (where he grew up), both if which also worth seeing. In addition, Mittenwald is also worth seeing (accessible by train).

We used Garmisch-Partenkirchen as a base and hit many of the places mentioned. It was a wonderful area to see.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,431 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

Here a map showing the railways and bus lines in this area.

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/deutschlan…

You can travel from Munich (all train and S-Bahn stations) to Oberammergau on a Regio-Ticket Werdenfels. Which covers what is shown on the above map.

If you stay in Oberammergau overnight you will get a guest card covering the buses in the area.

https:/…KoenigsCard

https:/…Free-bus-rides

Albeit if you have to return on this day to Munich you will have to buy anyway another Regio-Ticket Werdenfels or a Bayern Ticket (if you want to travel back via Neuschwanstein and Füssen).

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

Hi Abalada,

what a detailed information. Thank you so much. This will really help.

Baryalore
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Oberamergau

Hi Chetan

Planning to travel to Bavaria in Sept 2018, need some info on a 6 day itinerary, planning to take the koenigs card and see some small towns.

Reply to: Munich to Oberamergau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted