We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oberammergau alpine coaster question

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Oberammergau alpine coaster question

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 5 nights at the end of March/early April. We would like to go to Oberammergau for a day trip and go on the alpine coaster there. We have checked the website but aren't sure if it is running at that time of year. Can anyone confirm whether it is or not? Also, if it is open, we will be relying entirely on public transportation so which bus stop in Oberammergau is closest to the alpine coaster?

Thank you.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

Hi Kieralee11,

I'm sorry, but I cannot really tell if the alpine coaster will be running in April. According to the operating hours posted at its website, it says it will be open in July -- says nothing about the months prior to that. The email address is on the website, so you may want to email them and ask (the website has English pages, so I'm certain there will be someone there to read & respond to your request in English).

According to google maps, it is a 10-minute walk from the main station in Oberammergau to the Kolbensattel area.

Hope you get the right info!

s

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

The season for the Kolbensattel coaster will start Apr 8th. kolbensattel.de/sommer/betriebszeiten-sommer

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the information.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

I noticed that this one runs on tracks. The real fun ones are just a tube like a bob sled run where if you're going fast you'll have to fight to keep from going over the walls and crashing. Then it's just like a real bob sled or luge ride except for running on wheels instead of snow or ice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

Have a look at the one in Garmisch.

http://www.sommerrodelbahn-gap.de/#home

Look for "Sommerrodelbahn", as that's what the luge rides are called in Germany and Austria.

6. Re: Oberammergau alpine coaster question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, April 10, 2018