We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Hi there,

We will be staying at the Hotel Bavaria for five nights in July. We're planning on having quite a busy time during the days - plenty of hikes and of course visits to the lakes and Eagles Nest. My question is are there enough good restaurants within walking distance of our hotel - bearing in mind we may have been walking all day. We don't want fancy just some good well cooked food. Some of the reviews on TA seem to be quite old. So any suggestions would be really welcome - thank you very much.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Hi,

We were in Berchtesgaden in Dec. 2013 and liked our dinner at the Goldener Baer.

http://www.gasthof-goldener-baer.de

These aren't what you asked about, but I thought I'd include them:

IF interested, if you can get a few miles down the B305 from Berchtesgaden, we've had the best dinners during our 18 or so nights over 5 stays in the Berchtesgaden area at:

www.gebirgshaeusl.com/restaurant_e.html

Also, if you happen to be in nearby Bad Reichenhall, the Don Camillo is terrific.

http://www.doncamillo-ristorante.de

Paul

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Thank you Paul for your reply - will definatedly check out the one in Berchtesgaden. We will be doing our tour by train and bus so will not have transport to the other two. I understand there are some really nice places on the outskirts with some beautiful views - so maybe we will have to swap and have lunch instead of dinner. As you're probably aware we tend to eat dinner a lot later than the American people we've come across so don't fancy a trek around 8 in the evening, although it probably won't be dark at that time in the Summer. We're very much looking forward to our trip.

Thanks again for your reply - Go Redsox! Just teasing!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Sorry, not a baseball fan. Go NE Patriots though!

Have a great trip. We love Berchtesgaden and the area. If interested, we have plenty of photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the link to your photographs - makes me more excited to be going there!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, what did we do before tripadvisor?

Valleygirl

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

You're welcome. For dinner, we usually just walk around and check menu's and what the place looks like. Menu's are displayed either on the window or somewhere near the entrance. In July, there will be plenty of restaurants and cafes with outdoor tables. I know the Goldener Baer has plenty of outdoor tables, as we've been before during our trips in October. It was a little chilly at that time, but they had large tents over the tables and large heaters going.

Paul

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

Never had a bad meal there in nearly 30 visits.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

We will definately put that on the list then!

Thanks for replying.

8. Re: 5 night stay in July - questions about restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden