We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

We are planning to take the Bus 840 in the morning from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden - & then join the Eagle's Nest guided tour that starts 1.15pm & is slated to last 4 hours , before taking the same 840 bus back to Salzburg (last bus approx 6 pm ?).

1) Any advice on whether we have sufficient time to squeeze in a Kongisee boat trip before joining the ENT - say like 10-12 am?

2) Also , the Dokumentation Museum/underground bunker portion of the ENT looks really interesting to me & ideally i would have wanted to spend more time/detail there than the guided tour may possibly allocate. Is it worthwhile trying to do the Dok+bunkers+Eagles Nest visit on my own instead of guided tour, so I can do the individual sections at my own pace/ time allocated ? I am told there are English audio guides at the Dok , anything similar for the Eagles Nest also ?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

You don't need guided tours for anything. Do it on your own. Take the bus from the Berchtesgaden station (where the Salzburg bus ends) to the Obersalzberg. There everybody has to change to a specially equipped bus (good brakes, as you will see, are a must), last you take an elevator inside the mountain to the restaurant. .

I have not been to the docukment center, so can't comment on iut.

To get tom the Koenigsee you must get back to the B'gdn. station and take another bus. I am quite sure you won't have enough time to take the boat. Takes about 3 hours round trip. No facilities on the boat. You can get off at the otherf end of the lake for a look-see.

Instead, I suggest you take the Jenner Bergbahn, a gondola lift from the station near the Koenigsee poarking lot. From the top you have a wonderful view of the lake and the mountains surrounding it.. In fact, you could skip the Eagle Nest (by the way, that's just a nickname, the real name is Kehlsteinhaus). Just visit the dcoumnet center, and then go to the Koenigsee- Jenner. The view from ther equals that from the Kehlstein and the foood at the top is much better than in the Kelksteinhaus and you will save time. Whether to do take the boat can then be a decision on the spur of the moment. Just a note of caution: If you plan to take the boat only halfways to the St. Bartholomae landing, on busy days there can be quite a wait to get back onto a boat that returns to the village of Koenigsee.

Check on "Search" and see what people say about the Jenner vs. Eagles nest.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

Thanx for the reply, Treplow.

If the Koenigsee full round trip is 3 hours - it looks like I could atleast do the half trip to St.Bartholomew in the morning & still catch the EN tour at 1:15pm. I will probably need to get into Bercht. early - any idea what time the 840 RVO bus service starts from Salzburg (their website seems to be down currently) ?

I am actually keen on Dok/ EN - more from the historical context , though great cliff top views is a nice added bonus! So , the EN vs Jenner is not really a choice from my perspective ; the only question was whether to do the EN trip on my own OR use the tour ? Going myself seems to give me more flexibility over my day's schedule & no deadline pressure to catch the tour start --- only negative (& possibly a big one) is that the Kehlsteinhaus without any sort of guide to provide context, might end up being just a visit to a cliff top house !

Edited: 4:45 am, April 03, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

Spai – if you do go up to Kehlsteinhaus, on the way up sit on the passenger side of the bus (when you are seated and looking forward you would be on the right hand side of the bus). Get a window seat. Some really great views on the way up! And on the way down, sit on the other side of the bus to get the great views. There is only 1 road and all buses (only buses are allowed to go up, no cars) take this narrow winding road up and down. It’s so narrow that buses cannot pass, so there are designated spots where your bus will pull over so the oncoming bus can pass!

Do not expect a lot of military history on the tour of Kehlsteinhaus. They instead emphasis the marvel of engineering it was at the time and the tremendous amounts of hard work and dedication it took to build it. So to get the full military effect of it, do some research on it so you know what you’re looking at when you get there.

One of the best pictures of our trip is me drinking a beer next to the red Italian marble fireplace given to Hitler by Mussolini, which was later badly damaged by American GI’s after the fall of the Third Reich.

PROST!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

Thanx for the tips, Cardinal5.

5. Re: Doing Konigsee+Eagle's Nest tour in day-trip from Salzburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 07, 2014