We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden in March

Newbridge England
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden in March

Hello, can someone give advice on tyres please ?

We visited Berchtesgaden by car in October last year, staying at the Intercontinental for 5 days. We drove from the U.K and our car was fitted with all weather tyres. The weather was good and touring the area in the car was fine. All the roads were superb.

We are planning a trip,by car, to Dresden for a week and then motoring to Berchtesgaden and staying again at the Intercontinental.

I have a 4 wheel drive car but have no " Winter tyres " It is not a requirement in the U.K. and our winter weather doesn't justify the purchase or need of them. My all-weather tryes will be brand new as I have arranged for 4 new ones to be fitted at the Glaserne Manufaktur whilst in Dresden.

I realise this is hard to answer but any ideas what the weather might be like arriving on 17th March ? Do you think I will need winter tyres, especially on that climb to the Intercontinental ?

May I just add, that I do know that it is a " requirement "in Deutschland to have winter tyres fitted from October through to March. However many of my German friends in Dresden usually start to consider changing to their all round tyres by mid-March....if the weather has warmed up of course.

Can anyone remember if their was still ice and snow around in late March last year ?

Many thanks for any help or advice given.

Frank

Edited: 12:04 pm, February 05, 2013
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden in March

Obersalzberg is around 1000 meters altitude. At this altitude you have to expect full winter in March. To give you an idea - the road up from Obersalzburg to the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest) is due snow normally closed till mid of May.

> May I just add, that I do know that it is a " requirement "in Deutschland to have winter tyres fitted from October through to March.

German law requires "appropriate" tyres. Your new all-weather tyres may be sufficient. Surely on cleared roads.

But note that in adjacent Austria winter tyres are required by law till mid April.

Newbridge England
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden in March

Thankyou Abalada

Your answer gives me something to think about. May I ask if, in your experience, the road up from the town of Berchtesgaden to the Intercontinental,cleared daily of ice and snow ? Can I just say that our car has 4 wheel drive,so it does have plenty of grip.

I think that is the road I am most worried about. We have been driving to Dresden in February and March for the last 7 years now, on normal all year tyres and our experience is that the Autobahns are superbly cleared of ice and snow each day and are safe to drive on, even in very poor weather. They are maintained to a much higher standard than the equivalent Motorways in the U.K.

It's just getting up to the hotel that mosts concerns me. As you most probably know, If the weather is pretty bad, then the Intercontinental is a pretty nice place in which just to laze about for 4 days. So if we can make it up that road, which has,I believe the steepest gradient in Germany ( is that correct ? )then we can just relax there .

We can then arrange , as we did in October, for a local taxi to come up to the hotel, on his winter tyres I might add and pick us up and drive us back down to the town of Berchtesgaden each evening, where we can dine at the Goldener Bear ( I think that's what the Inn was called ) and have a fine Wiener Schnitzel and a local beer. !

Thankyou again

Frank

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden in March

> May I ask if, in your experience, the road up from the town of Berchtesgaden to the Intercontinental,cleared daily of ice and snow ?

No personal experience. But I would expect this. This road is also served by public buses. Thus the road must be also usable for them.

The standard of the road clearing should be even better than around Dresden. In the Bavarian Alps they have more experience with snow. And also more/better equipment.

Newbridge England
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden in March

Thankyou for all your help and advice. I think that when we are in Dresden,I will keep an eye on the weather and road conditions in Bavaria and if they are poor, we will just stay in Dresden for a few more days.

Frank

5. Re: Berchtesgaden in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Berchtesgaden