We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

Murray, Kentucky
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for our trip to Germany (Sept 2-Sept 7). It is the first leg of our Honeymoon. While doing some research I came across the Romantic Road and thought it sounded perfect, however, we are open to suggestions. We love history and quainter villages over large cities. We fly into Munich on the 2nd and will need to be back there by the morning of the 7th. Instead of the Romantic Road a friend suggested taking the train to Salzburg for a day or two and also going to Heidelberg. We are open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance! :)

~Meg

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

Hi,

With such a short time in the region, I would recommend Prien am Chiemsee, Salzburg and Berchtesgaden/Königssee and skip the idea of the Romantic Road. The distances are short and the scenery is excellent.

Prien am Chiemsee is a nice lakeside resort town that might be perfect for someone starting off their honeymoon. On one of the islands in the lake, Herrenchiemsee, there's a palace of King Ludwig.

http://tourismus.prien.de/en/main/home.htm

Salzburg has a charming and very compact city center and its fortress on the hill high above the city, Hohensalzburg.

http://www.salzburg.info/en

You can spend a half a day (or more) at Königssee near Berchtesgaden, riding the electric boats back to St. Bartholomew church.

http://www.koenigssee.com/en/

www.berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html

Congrats on getting married and enjoy your trip.

Zed

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,714 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

Well, Salzburg and Heidelberg are pretty much mutually opposite directions. Neithrr could be called a village, and I'd call both cities.

The Romantic Road isn't romantic, but does link very pretty small towns and villages.

You would expect me to commend Rothenburg, and I will.

If it were me, I'd look to 2 nights in R, then go back via Munich to do 2 in Mittenwald. One stay in a country town with loads to see. One high in Alps.

If you are interested in R, and want hotel recommendation pm me.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

"We love history and quainter villages over large cities."

Of the suggestions you've received so far, I think Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden w/ Königssee might be closest to what you seek - Prien a little less so, but the scenery is tops, H'chiemsee palace is great, and it would be a fine place to do a little biking or other outdoor activities. Salzburg is lovely and historical but it definitely stretches the definition of the word "village."

I think I might opt for all 5 nights in Prien. From there, you could daytrip to other places depending on your mood. Salzburg (1 hour by train) and Berchtesgaden (should be under 2 hours by train, 1 hr. by car) would be very doable trips. Herrenchiemsee is right there. Munich is only an hour by train if you want a night on the town. The nearby Kampenwand (mountains, hiking trails, cable car lift) overlook Chiemsee and Prien and make for an even quicker outing:

teisendorf.de/c_medien/95-kampenwandseilbahn…

You could daytrip from Prien to Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden as well but you are looking at 2 hours each way by car to Mittenwald, longer by train. Maybe Mittenwald would merit an overnight.

A car would simplify the transportation issues for Berchtesgaden and the Königssee and Mittenwald. But I'd use the train (Bayern Ticket) to head into Salzburg or Munich.

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

Rothenburg seems a bit too far from all this loveliness and tends to be unquaintly inundated with international tourists most of the time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

Personally, for a romantic time I would consider staying in Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) at the Villa Jaegerhaus with close-up views of lit-up by night Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Palaces from your room. Make sure that your room has a view of Neuschwanstein because all rooms have palace views, but some only of Hohenschwangau.

The rest of the time I would spend in and around Salzburg which is also romantic. Stay in the oldtown with its wonderful ambiance. There's lots to see and do there in and around town, and also in the nextdoor Austrian and German Alps. A few enjoyable FUN things to do: a horse-carriage ride about the oldtown; a visit to the bishop's water garden where he liked to play tricks on his guests with water; a visit to a salt mine; the ice caves high in the Alps above nearby Werfen which also has an excellent medieval castle; and a boat ride past Germany's best alpine scenery on the Koenigssee. Ludwig II's version of Versailles, Herrenchiemsee, on an island of that name in the Chiemsee, is also nearby. If you choose to visit it, also visit the old convent and village on Fraueninsel nextdoor to it.

5. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, July 19, 2013
6. Re: Need HELP for Romantic Road Tour (honeymoon) Sept 2-Sept 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 21, 2014