We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path Germany

Morehead City, NC
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Off the Beaten Path Germany

Hello,

I am looking for advice on a 10 day itinerary for Germany, and possibly Austria in September. I will be traveling with my 24 year old daughter, and we have traveled in Europe before, but not either of these countries. We like small, quaint towns instead of big bustling cities, but realize that we need to spend a little time sightseeing there also. Hiking, biking, wineries are things of interest to us. The romantic road seems like a good bet.. any comments about those towns? We spent 5 weeks touring around with Eurail passes last summer, but am debating on whether to rent a car this time. Is that pretty doable or not? We also like staying in small inns or Bed and Breakfast places. Would LOVE to get input from experienced travelers!

Thanks, Marie

39 replies to this topic
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Sorry, I don't see relevance in "So, now I am wondering if ethelman 2 has been to any of the other towns suggested here?"

I think I suggested places around R o d T that could be considered less touristy, like Vellberg and Langenburg. I haven't been to some of those named here, I'm ashamed to say. Clearly that's to do with something.

R o d T is a great centre, with lots of places to visit, in my view.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Do you like beer?

How about a visit to Ausfess, which has the highest per capita concentration of breweries in the world. You can walk from brewery to brewery - about a 14 km loop. And if you print out the passport, you can have it stamped at each brewery and then at the end, they will print out a certificate of completion for you :-) We rented a car for this portion of the trip since public transport isn't readily available there - drove from Bamberg (which was our previous base) to Brauerei Reichold Hochstahl. This is where we started and ended our walk and stayed overnight after the walk.

http://www.brauereiweg.de/brauereiweg.html

That link is all in German, I had a link for English, but it is no longer working.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Why not simply visit Dinkelsbühl or Nördlingen instead of Rothenburg odT? They are on the RR too, they are as cute and "romantic" as Rothenburg, but they are less touristy and more authentic (= real bakeries for locals instead of Schneeball shops for tourists). And they are close to Rothenburg, which can be done on a day trip from these towns.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
900 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

We are visiting Rothenburg odt and Bamberg this trip, our previous trips have included lots of lovely little towns like Lauf,Goessweinstein, Forchheim, Pottenstein, and further up to Coburg and Bayreuth. But I really want to see these more well known towns, too, because everyone seems to go there and there must be good reason for that too. Germany has so many lovely towns, and it's such a delight seeing the wonderful flower boxes and gardens in full bloom that I have mainly visited in summer. We leave on Thursday, hooray.....

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

We all have differing interests and goals for our valuable vacation time and money. I like things "you" don't; "you" like things I don't. But it is helpful to have all the information one can get on destinations, so we can make a reasoned judgment on where we want to go and how long we want to stay there. Millions of people worldwide enjoyed staying in Rothenburg overnight. Millions of others did not. We are not all identical.

I have numerous friends who love cruising. I found the one cruise I took exceedingly boring and tedious and frustrating--I felt like a caged tiger in a third-rate roadside zoo. That doesn't imply at all that my preferences are in some philosophical sense "better" than their preferences. Only that they are "better" for me.

C G
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Just returned from a Romantic Road tour (driving). Would suggest the book Tour Guide Romantic Road from the Main to the Alps (ISBN: 3-929228-28-9, printed by Kraichgau Verlag GmbH, but have English version), with map of the roads and brief discription of each town. Visited Rothenberg ob der Tauber (Parking Lot 5 is free to cars, start early in the day, expect lots of tourists), Dinkelsbuhl (wonderful little town), Nordlingen (be sure to visit the Rieskrater Museum about the meteor which struck this region), Fussen and Schwangau (do NOT take the last trip to either castle, or you will be forced to walk down the hill). But there are great little towns with old sections that aren't on the official Romantic Road: Dillingen and Neuburg near Donauworth, Kirchberg near Rothenberg, Linderhof south of Oberamergau, all with castles, schloss, and/or old marktplatz. Driving: get a small car ("upgrades" are larger cars which do not fit well in the small spaces of the parking garages), look for outdoor parking lots rather than garages and free parking at your hotel, get a car that runs on clean diesel (cheaper than regular gas and all the stations carry it), invest in a GPS (only way to get all the turns correct, and if your car comes with one, before you leave the lot set the preferences to English--unless you are fluent in German), get used to the round-abouts (they are more efficient than American stop signs and stop lights, and are all over Germany). Personally, I don't like large cities, so avoided Augsburg (the old town is a very small portion of the city). Just about every town we went through had history: the old church, cobblestone roads, marktplatz, half-timbered houses with red tiled roofs. Time slows down, so do the opening/closing times--most businesses, including restaurants, close by 8 pm; most hotels offer a buffet breakfast (may be at additional charge). But the scenary is beautiful, and the bathrooms (even public) are clean and well maintained. Menus are usually only in German; usually any young person will speak fluent or passable English, older people will not. One nice thing about the Romantic Road: except in the tourist towns of Rothenberg and Augsburg, you won't see a McDonald's.

Edited: 11:43 am, July 01, 2013
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Sorry to be picky, but I guess you mean Rothenburg. Rothenberg does exist but isn't that interesting.

28. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:32 am, July 19, 2013

29. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 19, 2013

30. Re: Off the Beaten Path Germany

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 19, 2013

Reply to: Off the Beaten Path Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted