We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

Hello!

Can anyone suggest a good multi-day bus tour of the Romantic Road area? (Many of the companies found online had bad reviews, or are intermediaries - Viator, toeurope, Touring, etc). I am interested in a 4-5 day tour possibly by a smaller local company (but in English) and ideally one that has small groups, a good guide and decent hotels.

This will be our first visit to Germany, and I am excited to see castles and towns. We will be staying in the Moselle valley for a few days, and then were thinking of taking a trip from Frankfurt to Munich. Since it's our first trip there, I think it will be easier to take a guided tour (and we don't drive).

Thank you for your help!

Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

ttt

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

If you do a Search on here, you will find so many posts offering information about how to do this on your own. People do this all the time.

Pick out some towns you want to visit, ask questions about those specific towns, look at the Deutsche Bahn website to find your train connections. It isn't necessary to drive here. You can get to all of these towns easily with the train. Most towns are going to have a Tourist Info, and twill also offer tours of the towns for far less money than one of those tour companies you have been reading about.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

"I think it will be easier to take a guided tour (and we don't drive)."

I used to drive in Germany a lot but I don't anymore - public transport in Germany is just too good to bother with a car, generally. I agree with Bornheimgirl about doing the Mosel - Munich leg independently by public transport and taking local tours of the towns you visit. You are of course correct that it's always easier to turn your trip over to someone else than to plan it, but this is not an area of Europe where you should worry about getting around, or about being able to find nice places. It's maybe easier to be independent here than anywhere else I can think of.

First issue... CASTLES: you'll generally find more and better-kept examples of real castles, 800-1,000 years old in many cases, on/near the Mosel. Burg Eltz and Reichsburg on the Mosel (both near Cochem) and Marksburg and Rheinfels on the Rhine offer tours (Rheinfels' is self-guided.) The Füssen-area structures south of Munich - Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau - are often wrongly called "castles" when they really are late 19th-century palaces.

Second issue... ROMANTIC ROAD: It hits some of Bavaria's great destinations but it of course MISSES far more than it hits since it is a mostly direct north-south route. You don't have to follow it on your way to Munich. If you've read the boards and seen comments like "a car is the only way to do the Romantic Road", you should not be put off from using public transport in the area. It is true that a car is more convenient IF you insist on traveling the exact route that some tourist-industry genius came up with many years ago, a route that now is often jammed with cars and tour buses. But here are just a few interesting places that lie roughly between Frankfurt and Munich that the RR driver will miss out on:

Bamberg

Nuremberg

Landshut

Eichstätt

Regensburg

Ansbach

Iphofen (adorable old moated/walled village)

Bad Windsheim (terrific open air museum)

Weissenburg (Roman settlement, old walled town)

Romantic Road towns that are (roughly) north of Munich and easy to reach by train include Würzburg, Lauda, Nördlingen, Harburg, Donauwörth, Augsburg, and Landsberg.

Obviously, 4-5 days will only scratch the surface; you can check all these places out and see what interests you.

TRANSPORTATION: Bavaria begins a few miles east of Frankfurt in the town of Kahl, and from there south you can get from town to town and do outings by train using the Bayern Ticket daypass:

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

Here's a handy sketch of the train lines in Bavaria:

bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/planen_buchen/linienne…

It would be easy to stay in one town for 4-5 nights and do outings by train to the other towns; strategically-situated Ansbach might be a good choice, but it depends on which places you want to visit.

City tours: You won't find regular English-language tours everywhere. But the TI offices and their websites can be very helpful - they'll usually have information about tours at specific tourist attractions and brochures, booklets and audio-guides for self-guided walks through their towns.

Edited: 7:31 am, June 03, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

Thank you so much for the replies!

Russ - thanks for the detailed information, links and suggestions - very helpful info I will check out.

It looks like we will do the trip next summer instead, so I will have the time to plan our own itinerary and travel by public transportation. (I guess if so many people recommend it it must be a good idea! :)

Thanks again - I am looking forward to Germany!

5. Re: Guided Multi-Day Tour - Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014