We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip From Rothenburg

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip From Rothenburg

My husband and I will be spending two nights in Rothenburg this month and the more I look at the activities in Rothenburg the more I feel like I would have enough time to do a day trip to one of the surrounding cities. I was thinking maybe Wurzburg or Bamberg. We really like history, architecture, and picturesque towns. The Residenz in Wurzburg is something that interest me but I am having a hard time choosing. Bamberg looks very lovely as well. Please help!! Thanks in advance for any replies!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

Also we will be driving down from Rothenburg to stay in Mittenwald for two nights and I was wondering what stops are a must or which sights should we look for on the way down. We are already planning a stop at Neuschwanstein castle. Once again thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: 3:24 pm, March 04, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

If you have a car, a nice trip is to Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ) via Vellberg ( www.vellberg.de only in German). Vellberg has a completely walled small oldtown, and there will only be a handful of tourists. In the SW corner, there is an entrance to the fortifications in the town wall. This is an excellent contrast to over-touristed Rothenburg. Schwaebisch Hall has many medieval buildings, in an old church is an art gallery with old church art including Holbein's Madonna, the most expensive piece of church art which was recently purchased for over 50,000,000€. There is also Museum Wuerth which has free exhibitions of modern art, a nice contrast to the oldtown. On the eastern edge of town is unique (Gross)comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), a walled fortified monastery, actually a large medieval church and monastery buildings within a large medieval castle. Just excellent, and I doubt if you'll find anything similar.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

if you have a car, may I suggest you take a look at Schwaebisch Hall? Very picturesque. But better than that, on the way you can go via Langenburg and come back via Vellburg. A brilliant day out, IMHO.

Two minds with a single thought.

Edited: 3:35 pm, March 04, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

That sounds very interesting. I will check this option out. So does this mean that you suggest I skip the bigger surrounding towns of Wurzburg or Bamberg and do this instead? The pictures of Schwaebisch Hall look very lovely!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

I like both the towns you mention, but Schwaebisch Hall is a bit off the beaten track, and is a bit special. I should have spelt the other town Vellberg- take a look at images on google. You'll see it's worth a trip.

Langenburg is also special- seat of royalty.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

"I was wondering what stops are a must or which sights should we look for on the way down"

Take the A7 autobahn between Rothenburg and Fuessen. Along the way, you'll pass three excellent places that might interest you. Giengen has the Steiff Museum, inventor's of the teddy bear. Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) has the church with the highest steeple in the world, climbable if desired. Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) close to Memmingen has a monastery church which I consider to have the best interior of any church in Germany, jam-packed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can be easily comprehended.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

About 25 miles south from Rothenburg at Aalen just off the A7 is the German Limes - the Roman Empire boundary in Germany with some of the Roman building foundations, a museum and reenactments on weekends

bargaintraveleurope.com/09/Germany_Roman_Lim…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

Besides the Limes Museum, in the suburb Wasser-Alfingen of Aalen there is a visitable underground iron ore mine which later also served as a sanitarium. www.aalen.de

9. Re: Day Trip From Rothenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 17, 2014