We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

Hello,

My friend and I are traveling through germ this May. We saw there was a Romantic Road bus route from Munich to Frankfurt. We were thinking about stopping in Rothenberg for the night then getting back on the bus. Has anyone heard anything about the bus ride? Does it stop in other towns for a good amt of time? Are there any other alternatives to the bus, to get us from Munich to Frankfurt?

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

The Romantic Road runs from Fuessen to Wuerzburg, not Munich to Frankfurt. I really don't know about the bus, but I believe it is possibly one per day. Anyway, the two easiest ways to get from Munich to Frankfurt are to fly or take the train ( http://www.bahn.de ). Use the website to find information on the train trip. There are several fairly direct routes with different places you could stop to see some sights.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

Romantic Road Bus

deutsche-touring.de/id/…10englstart1.html

> Does it stop in other towns for a good amt of time?

It stops, but not for an amount of time, which would allow you any sightseeing.

> Are there any other alternatives to the bus, to get us from Munich to Frankfurt?

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

To: Frankfurt

To: FRA airport (if the airport is your destination)

and if you like

Via: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Worthwile, but a detour. Rothenburg is in a fairly remote location - otherwise it would not be the Rothenburg you like to visit.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

The bus is a very constraining experience. Almost no time at all to even use the WC in the RR towns, one bus per day. Use the train instead for increased flexibility. It doesn't hit every single town on the route, but you can get to most of them, and the other places that the train goes to which do NOT lie on the RR route are just as interesting or better than the RR towns. The "Romantic Road" is a tourism marketing concept which tourists latch onto because it sounds, well, romantic. Rothenburg is indeed a very worthwhile destination that you should see - but you don't have to buy the whole RR package to see Rothenburg and the most interesting places in Bavaria.

From Frankfurt, buy regular tickets to Kahl and from there on, you are in Bavaria (Bayeern), so you can use a "Bayern ticket" - a daypass good for unlimited travel on regional trains (after 9 am weekdays, any time Sat or Sun) for up to 5 people. Cost is still under 25 Euros/day, I think, buy in advance at www.bahn.de. Of course, before springing for the Bayern ticket, check to see that regular tickets from Kahl to wherever you're going first in Bavaria aren't cheaper.

Places to go in the north: Würzburg's (first big town on the RR) Residenz palace is magnificent - see it if you can - and the rest of W'burg is nice enough too. Take the train to Bamberg and/or Nuremberg if you have time too (wonderful cities bypassed by RR bus riders because they're not on the Romantic Road.) Weissenburg, Eichstaett, and Pappenheim, south of Nuremberg, are also very interesting non-RR towns that you can reach by train.

Augsburg, on the RR, is okay. But I'd choose Bamberg or Nuremberg before Augsburg.

Okay, I hope this helps.

Russ

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Road Bus... Munich to Frank

And here's a map of the train lines in Bavaria so you can plan a little better; click on the top map for a map of all of Bavaria (Gesamt-netzkarte):

www.bayern-takt.de/public_main_modul.php…