We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose??

We will be based in Munich for a few days,

Not sure if it is worth going to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and only staying the night because of the distance, or to go to Nordlingen, in a day trip, it is closer to Munich .

l understand they are very similar....can't make up my mind;

Wanting to hear some opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Nordlingen
Nordlingen
Swabia, Germany
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose??

Nördlingen!

Rothenburg is much overrated.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose??

They're not similar really. Noerdlingen is quiet (sometimes silent). Rothenburg isn't. For a day trip, if you can get to N, I'd go there. R is adapted for tourists, really for day trippers, and in my view you need to do an overnight to see it properly- when the buses go and the last Japanese tourist has caught the train, R comes into its own.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose??

Just a bit curious. How do you know they are Japanese? No other tour buses in Rothenburg? No Americans, British, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc.?

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose??

The last few times that I have been there,there were def. more Chinese than Japanese. The one language that one does not hear much of there is German !!

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you choose??

I've been to Nordlingen once. Been to Rothenburg 3 times. Would easily go to Rothenburg again. Would only go to Nordlingen if I was passing thru there on my way to somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Nordlingen
Nordlingen
Swabia, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you choose??

"Just a bit curious. How do you know they are Japanese? No other tour buses in Rothenburg? No Americans, British, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc.?"

I said "the last Japanese tourist has caught the train"- yes, of course loads of tour BUSES as well.

And I know they're Japanese because I speak Mandarin and Hangungmal..

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you choose??

Nördlingen is a normal small town that doesn't cater to tourists but people from the region it's in. Therefore the streets tend to be paved with blacktop rather than cobblestone which isn't as attractive. It also has a complete intact circular town wall all of which can be walked if desired. Sitting in the large Ries meteorite impact basin there is also a museum that deals with this. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, on the other hand, basically derives its existence from tourism and in the warmer months can be packed with foreign tourists. I've visited in February in the morning and saw only a handful of other tourists and had walked the entire town wall without running into another person until just before we descended from it after lunch.

I've visited Rothenburg at least four times and much prefer it to Nördlingen if there are few tourists. I've probably been in Nördlingen at least 3-4 times as often and always enjoy my visits there as there are few tourists, but the town just isn't as enjoyable as Rothenburg at its best, that special ambiance is missing.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you choose??

Nordlingen is pleasant enough and walking the intact town wall is pretty cool, but IMHO Rothenburg odt is great, really pretty and very interesting. However, we visited in winter and didn't encounter bus loads of tourists. It was pretty quiet actually. We did stay a couple of nights and I agree with others that it is lovely in the evenings when it is really quiet. If you can do only one, I would vote for Rothenburg.

Mentioned in this post
Nordlingen
Nordlingen
Swabia, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which would you choose??

I know the question was "which" but I'd go to both. Rothenburg when the crowds were less likely, and Nordlingen to compare the two.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Nordlingen
Nordlingen
Swabia, Germany
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which would you choose??

Thank you all for your answers...

It seems Noerdlingen is also an interesting place in itself with the meteor and crater as well as being a walled town and the part wooden houses which l mostly want to see..

Just in case we choose Noerdlingen is there a language barrier there , as they don't get as many tourists, or do they speak english, and are most places to see within walking distance from the train station ,or are there buses that can easily take us around...

Guess we will see how we go for time before deciding which village to see....