We are trying to coordinate a trip to Bavaria - we need your travel help. Our details are:
- fly in and out of Munich
- stay 13 nights
- family of four with children 13 and 16
- focus on winter activities, historic towns/villages, woodworking, music
Our focus is on Christmas but we are looking for the beautiful Bavarian towns and villages with the old buildings and nice streets - if there is snow that would be even better. Activities of interest are:
- Christmas markets in authentic old towns, historic town centres, villages
- Castles - King Ludwig's famous royal landmarks
- winter activities - skating, toboganning, bobseld, possibly downhill skiing, walking, sled/carriage ride
- Old churches, Christmas church services
- Christmas decorations and landmarks for instance the Gengenbach Advent calendar
- Woodworking - musical instruments and cuckoo clocks
- Glass blowing - Christmas ornaments
- Music - outdoors and concerts over Christmas and New Years
The list of areas we have read about and are interested in are:
- Munich (Marienplatz, market, music, skating)
- Gengenbach and Baden-Baden area near Strasburg
- Rothenburg, Bamburg area - possibly Regensburg, Nuremburg en route
- Fussen (and the castles), Allgau
- Garmisch Partenkirchen (Zugspitze), Mittenwald, Oberagammau
- Chiemsee, Berchestgaden
We do not want to be rushed yet there is lots to see and do - Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are best spent somewhere where there are still activities to do - we understand in many places things close down.
Since the Romantic Road areas like Rothenburg are in opposite directions to Gengenbach, and both of those areas are opposite to Chiemsee, it does not seem possible to do all three. Which of these areas should we chose?
Must-sees are Schloss Neuschwanstein, and the Gengenbach advent calendar if possible. We are hoping to find something unique and memorable for Christmas and New Years Eve/New Year's Day also, and the most scenic historic towns and old-timbered villages are very important to us.
Please help us focus on the best areas to focus on for our interests and family/age.
Itinerary suggestions would be great.