We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Hi,

I've been busy trying to organise a trip to Bavaria for a period of approx 17 days and I am struggling to flesh out a full itinerary.

So far I've got 6 days in Munich and I am wondering if this period of time is too long?

:-(

Thanks.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Not at all! There is a lot to enjoy in Bavaria. Our intinerary was 1 night Frankfurt, 2 nights Bamberg, 2 nights Rothenburg, 4 nights Garmisch Partenkirchen, 2 nights Fussen, 4 nights Munich. We had a car, so did lots of exploring. Our trip was a bit shorter than yours but there is still a lot to see and we can't wait to get back.

Check out a good guide book and I'm sure you will find a lot of things to do/see that will appeal.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Thee is enough to do to fill several months. The fear of staying "too long" in a large city full of attractions is alien to me...

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

I agree that you can easily fill those 17 days in Bavaria. In addition to the places that EmeraldDiva mentioned, don't forget about Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Prien am Chiemsee, Berchtesgaden, and Königssee. You can also stop in Salzburg and its surrounding Salzkammergut region. (But if you're driving, make sure you have a toll vignette for the Austrian highways.)

Zed

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Thanks - I'll post up my planned itinerary later and maybe you guys can help me iron it out. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Well, here it is so far with some questions on it:

Wed

AM: Arrive Munich 11:00am & get into accommodation

PM: Walkabout taking in Downtown & Old town (Marienplatz, Neues Rathaus, Altes Rathaus, Peterskirche, Frauenkirche, Viktualienmarkt,Funf Hofe, Odeonplatz, Theatinerkirche, Feldferrnhalle, Residenz, Alter Hof, Platzl, St Peters Tower, Asamhaus, Asamkirche & Gartnerplatz

Thurs

AM: Deutches Museum, Residenze & lunch at Cafe Tambosi

PM: Mike's Bike Standard City Tour (12:30 - 16:30) - plus remainder of yesterday afternoon if not all completed

Fri

AM: Olympic Park

PM: BMW Factory Tour (last tour 14:30) followed by BMW Welt

Sat

AM/PM: Nuremburg day trip

PM: Walk about old town and people watching

Sun

AM: ???

PM: ???

Mon

AM/PM: Neuschwanstein & Mt. TegelBerg

Tues

AM: ??? (Rothenburg?)

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

AM: Depart for Berchtesgaden

PM: Ramsau

Sun

AM: Salt Mines

PM: Eagles Nest Tour (Departs @ 13:15)

Mon

AM/PM: National Park

Tues

AM/PM: National Park

Wed

AM: Depart for Salzburg (10:15, 1hr bus)

PM: Salzburg Old Town

Thurs

Fri

AM: Depart for Munich (10:09, 2hrs RE)

PM: Last walk around the city and beer gardens

Sat

Depart Munich

Suggestions for destinations for Tues to Fri? (I could cut the trip shorter if nothing suitable is suggested)

How long would it take to get from airport into Munich city centre?

As I intend to stay in Munich for a long period of time, what is my best way to get a good rate on accommodation?

Is there a part of Munich city where most of the intersting stuff is located and hence where I'd be spending most of my time?

Is there are best day for the Viktualienmarkt?

What is the best way to tour Neuschwanstein and hike Mt. Tegelberg? I've read that some take the cable car up (which was expensive) and others hiked it. Is visiting the other castle in this area something to do too?

Should I cut Salzburg short by an evening and return to Munich on the Thurs evening - giving myself one whole final day to relax and bumble about in Munich?

Are two days too much for the National Park in Berchtesgaden? What is there to do there other than view the Lake and Watzmann? Can I cycle around the NP?

Edited: 3:04 pm, September 15, 2013
Chieming, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

I don´t think its too much time for Bavaria and Salzburg.

For example: From Berchtesgaden a boat trip on the Koenigsee is a MUST, I think.

If you want some relaxing time: I suggest either the Watzmanntherme in Berchtesgaden (closed in the moment after a fire) or the Rupertustherme at Bad Reichenhall with a great pool area. Also Bad Reichenhall (30 min. from Berchtesgaden) is worth a visit, don´t forget the salt mines there.

On the way from Munich to Salzburg you should stop at Prien am Chiemsee, than take the historic train to the Chiemsee (or by car to the harbour) and go to Herrenchiemsee with the historic palace, the continue to Frauenchiemsee, a lovely island that can be walked around in about one hour, but there are also very cosy restaurants.

In Salzburg your are offered several interesting bus tours to the Salzkammergut with St. Wolfgang (White Horse Inn) and, if you like, the Sound of Music tour. Or you can also easily go by car to the Salzkammergut, for eample St. Wolfgang, Gmunden, Bad Ischl (think of the vignette for the motorway, that can be bought at the Autobahn-border before entering Austria, at many gasoline station or the German Automobile club ADAC.

On the afternoon/evening you can go to the Moenchsberg and have dinner with a wonderfull view over the town (there is a lift, starting near Moenchsberg parking, when you eat something in the restaurant, the lift tour back is free)

About 1 hour from Salzburg back in Bavaria the castle at Burghausen is worth visiting (not so overcrowded). With more than 1 km its the longest castle in Europe (good hotel/restaurant on the road to the castle). The best view you can get when driving to the viewpoint on the other side in Austria (little narrow road, but this should be no problem). Also the Old Town of Burghausen with its Italian-like architecture is worth visiting.

I hope, this are some interesting things for you and whish you a nice trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
901 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

I personally would not allocate 6 days to Munich.

But a few extra days in some of your other locations would be fantastic. Salzburg region... Add Werfen ice caves and fortress, Hallstatt, and while in Berchtesgaden do that cruise on Konigsee and some walking further on from the Obersee (surrounded by mountains, and most visitors on the cruise don' t go further than the monastery).

The cablecar up mt Tegelberg was not expensive, and we walked down, a few options but we went for the easy hike called Ahorn Reitweg. This ends at the castle. Took us 2.5 hours so you could plan it with a tour after. You mention cycling .... We noted great paths around Fuessen, and the lake.

Garmisch Partenkirchen has hiking options from the Alpspitze and Kreuzeck cablecars.

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

what would hiking be like in mid/late October? I'm begining to think that it will be very cold and miserable.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Depends on the weather, which is unpredictable this far in advance. Mid October usually has the finest autumn colours and if you are lucky to catch a sunny phase, the forests will be magical.

Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 days in Bavaria - too long?

Thanks for the quick reply - I am massively panicking here as I have not got this itinerary finished and nothing booked :-(

STRESSED!!!!!!