We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

I've been trying to decipher train schedules and time for tours. Can someone tell me if this is doable?

We would leave Salzburg fairly early on a Tuesday. Had thought to use Bayern ticket, so I know this must be after 9 am on a weekday... it might be better to get point to point tickets to take an earlier train. Our destination will be Hohenschwangau, where we'll stay the night, have a walk at the lake, and take the first English tours the next day. We'd very much like to see Dachau, so we thought we'd go from Salzburg to Dachau, then to the memorial, then back to the train station to collect our luggage and on to Fuessen and bus to Hohenschwangau. (Or possibly stay the night in Fuessen)

After touring the castles, if possible we would like to journey on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. When I enter the route on bahn.de it says "Your input yielded several possible stops. Please select the desired stop." But it wants me to input the stop rather than giving me several choices. So I'm not sure what to input. I believe we would go from Fussen to Augsburg, then Treuchtlingen to Steinach to Rothenburg. Is this correct? If so, it looks like it would take us about 7 hours. If we took the 13:05 train, we wouldn't arrive in time for the Night Watchman tour, so we probably should just take our time and spend the night somewhere else, then go to Rothenburg the following day. Or is there a better way to Rothenburg ob der Tauber from Fuessen?

In playing with the schedules, it looks like we could easily get to Regensburg from Fuessen that afternoon, then to Rothenburg the next day after having time to explore Regensburg a bit that morning. Or would there be a better overnight stop?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,910 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

You could buy a discounted special from Salzburg to Füssen via Dachau. While such a special is bound to the long distance train (EC or railjet) listed on the ticket - it is still valid if it comes to regional trains.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Salzburg Hbf

Destination: Füssen (you can type in "Fuessen" instead)

and add Dachau as a stopover

Via (1): Dachau Bahnhof

Füssen to Rothenburg ob der Tauber does normally need a bit less than 5 hours.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Füssen

Destination: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to travel on a Bayern Ticket to be on the safe side.

That you *can* select a station/stop does not mean that you have to select one with the DB timetable. You can just proceed.

Füssen train station is just "Füssen". The shown "Füssen XYZ" places are all bus stops in Füssen.

And at places with more than one train station the timetable will select automatically the most important / best suited one if you just give the name of the town/city.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

Thank you for the assistance.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

You could go from Salzburg to Dachau with the Bayern Ticket, however, this will take you a while. (You'd change at Munich central station and take a different commuter train, which usually leaves at xx:28 once an hour, or the S2 direction Petershausen or Dachau.)

However, there is a good guided tour in English at the memorial, for times see http://www.kz-gedenkstaette.dachau.de, and I wouldn't miss the tour. They have it at 11:00 a.m. and 1 p.m., and I'm not sure if you can make it. If you can't, why not save Dachau for another day - yes, you'd need to buy a more expensive MVV ticket, but it's not that expensive. (You can use the MVV ticket on the commuter train as well.)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

What is the MVV ticket? I'm sorry, I'm just learning about the different trains.

We plan one to travel to the area after visiting Venice. I've been trying to figure out the best way to lay out our itinerary so as to include a combination of scenery, reasonable travel time, and fitting everything in that we really want to do. We want to spend a day in/around Salzburg (there's a tour we want to do, and I want to go to an evening concert) plus see the King's Castles (would like to spend the night there rather than as a day trip) and see Dachau. And I want to see Rothenburg ob der Tauber in addition to whatever else we can fit in! Of course we don't have enough time to do this in a leisurely manner.

We depart Venice on October 6, then we depart from Frankfurt October 12 at 14:00, so we had thought to spend the previous night somewhere nearby so as to be able to have a nice breakfast and get to the airport in plenty of time.

So, I've been trying to figure out whether to go from Venice to Salzburg (via Villach or Brenner pass route) or whether to go Venice>Verona>Innsbruck>Garmisch>Fuessen first, then Munich>Salzburg. However, the Garmisch stop currently shows as cancelled, and that train goes to Worgl instead. Possibly because of flood damage? I don't know.

My current itinerary for this part of our trip is:

6th.Venice to Salzburg

7th.Salzburg

8th.Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau

9th.Castles, then set out toward Rothenburg. (As mentioned above, it appears there's a fairly direct route to Regensburg which could be reached that afternoon/evening, then we could see a bit of that city, stay the night, and reach Rothenburg the following day.)

10th.Rothenburg

11th.Not sure where to spend this day and night, probably take train to St Goar, then back to Mainz for the night.

12th. Depart.

The reason we aren't planning on Rothenburg on the 11th (which would give us an extra day of touring in/around Bavaria) is that we think the Night Watchman's tour sounds like fun, so we want to spend a night there. There seem to be too many connections between there and the Frankfurt airport to count on getting to the airport the next morning without too much stress, so we moved it back a day.

Any suggestions on how to arrange this better would be appreciated! The more I look at it the more confused I get. This is why people take guided tours, lol! I often help people with U.S. itineraries to Southwest Colorado's mountains, so I do understand that sometimes "you just can't get there from here...you have to go roundabout."

5. Re: Itinerary help...Salzburg to Dachau to Hohenschwangau, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 22, 2014