We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

We will be driving from Heidelberg to OT Rothenburger in a couple of weeks. When I use google maps the main route takes approx 1 hr 40 min (I know they and Viamichellin provide a modest time frame, so I usually tack on extra drive time). When I use google maps and put in each town the route now takes 3hr 20 mins without stopping at all. I do love castle and would like to see several but just can not fit all of them in or else we won't have anytime to enjoy Rothenburg. So my dilemma is deciding which ones to make sure to see or to stop at. Do you have any recommendations? Of course the castles in Heidelberg and Rothenburg are already included.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

don't want to disappoint- R o d T castle is a castle site, unless you count the fortifications of the town walls.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

You could just travel the first part of the Castle Road a long the river Neckar till Bad Friedrichshall (without the Sinsheim loop). And from there on the autobahn.

www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php…

Neckarsteinach with its 4 castles

www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php…

You can visit Burg Schadeck and Hinterburg. Both in ruins. Free access. Tower of the Hinterburg is accessible.

Burg Hornberg and Burg Guttenberg have both small museums.

burg-guttenberg.de/en/the-museum/burgmuseum

These are also castles where you can park next door. In most other cases you have to park down in the valley and hike up (at Neckarsteinach however an easy walk).

At Neckargerach-Guttenbach there is the Minneburg. Most impressive castle ruin along the Neckar (Heidelberg is a baroque/renaissance palace in ruins).

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneburg

http://www.neckargerach.de/index.php?id=76

Along the route when leaving the Neckar valley there a are 3 "castle towns". The location of these castles allowed a settlement next door which was granted later town rights. Really small towns however. Waldenburg, Vellberg and Langenburg.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

http://www.vellberg.de/index.php?id=38

http://www.langenburg.de/index.php?id=104

www.schloss-langenburg.de/ENGLISH?id=206

Most interesting and best fitting into your route is Langenburg. Exit 44 (Ilshofen / Wolpertshausen) of the autobahn A6 - Langenburg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Former Free Imperial Cities like Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Schwäbisch Hall, Heilbronn, Bad Wimpfen) had no local rulers and thus no castles. Apart from the ones with an imperial castle like Nuremberg and Bad Wimpfen.

www.badwimpfen.de/showpage.php…

(Heilbronn was destroyed in WWII and apart from a few buildings not restored.)

schwaebischhall.de/en/…sightseeing.html

Edited: 5:46 am, April 06, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

My favorite castle in this area is (Gross)comburg (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en under monasteries) just east of Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ), an excellent medieval town. It is unique being a large medieval castle that was converted into a medieval monastery. Therefore there is an excellent large church filling up much of the center of this intact castle. Slightly further east is Vellberg ( www.vellberg.de only in German) which has a small completely walled oldtown which will only have a handful of tourists, an excellent contrast to over-touristed Rothenburg. There is a doorway near the SW corner of town where you can enter the underground wall fortifications. There is also a castle (palace?) a short distance away which I have never visited. To see these places, just take the road along the Neckar River past those other castles to near Heilbronn, and then the A6 east and get off for Schwaebisch Hall.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

Oh, since you have a car I should have mentioned driving down to the river below Rothenburg so that you can see it on the skyline.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

Thanks for your help. Abalada "You could just travel the first part of the Castle Road a long the river Neckar till Bad Friedrichshall (without the Sinsheim loop). And from there on the autobahn" this was one of my original ideas and now with your extra info and Marcopolko's I think this is what we're going to do. Thanks again.

6. Re: Which Castles have easy access or viewing on Castle road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 11, 2014