We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

We are spending 12 days this summer in Bavaria with our two young children (2 and 4 years old). So far the plan is to fly in to Munich and spend 6 nights in the city.

We plan to spend that time exploring the attraction in Munich and making three day trips by train to:

Chiemsee

Garmisch

Salzburg

We would love to spend the last 6 days of our holidays relaxing in some nice Bavarian resort. What we are looking for is a family friendly place that is not too touristy (ironic, I know) and yet, has good train connections to Munich. We don't plan to rent a car and will be dependent on getting to our destination using public transport. Anything within a 2-3 hour journey's reach is do-able.

So far we are thinking of:

Wurzberg from where we can explore the towns on the "Romantic Road";

Lindau from where we can explore Bodensee and the castles near Fuessen;

Ideally two bases in Bavaria and three nights in each exploring surrounding castles/villages/scenery.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I remember reading a mention on a resort somewhere deep in the Bavarian countryside that had good public transport connections. The name started with M....I have trawled the forum looking for that thread but with no luck.....

So any recommendation of a small hotel/resort in the country will be greatly appreciated.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

maybe you're thinking of Mittenwald?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

No it was not Mittenwald. It was the name of family run resort/farmhouse deep in the German countryside.

At the moment we are looking at a number of options including Innsbruck, Oberndorf, Oberammergau, Lindenberg etc.

Anything with good train connections to Munich and nice resorts is a viable option. There is enough to see in this area that two months won't be enough. We just want to try to get the most of twelve days :)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Not sure what you mean by resort. In Europe the word normally means a town with lots of faciliiies for tourists; in the states it's a big hotel complex.

You won't find the latter in Bavaria, in my experience.

Innsbruck is quite a work-a-day town, of course in Austria and over 2 hrs by train from Munich.

Oberammergau is a picturesque village with alpine chalets on the end of a branch line at the foot of the Alps. I don't tin I'd stay there for very long, to be honest. And its right by Garmisch.

Don't know Lindendorf or Oberndorf, to be honest.

Wuerzburg is pleasant but public transport to the Rom Road isn't brilliant.

If you like mountains, Koenigssee with its lake is worth a look, or Berchtesgaden.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

If you look for a resort like I guess in the states then I could recommend Schloss Elmau. It has a lot entertainment for kids. But it is quite expensive, too (I don`t know your budget)

It is located in between Garmisch and Mittenwald in the mountains.

schloss-elmau.de/english/…index.html

The next trainstation is Krün. But not walkable from the resort. I don`t know if the hotel has a shuttle service.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Could it possibly be the Mayringerlehen Guesthouse in Ramsau? It gets uniformly good reviews and seems to be a great place for kids. www.mayringerlehen.de

If you were going to have a car, I'd recommend the village of Reit im Winkl, on the border with Austria, but it's hard to get to on public transportation.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Outside of Reit im Winkl,near the German- Austrian border is the Peternhof resort. It is a fairly big hotel complex, with several guest buildings, golf, pool I believe, etc. and a good restaurant. Locted on a hill, its great views of the mountains of the valley in Reit. It's mailing address is actually Koessen/Tirol, although it is just 4 km from Reit. You can find it on the inernet. To really enjoy the area, you should have a car.

Edited: 7:41 pm, February 14, 2013
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

emilysmom, yes! That was the one! That's exactly the sort of small hotel we are looking for. We will be spending 6-8 nights in Munich and then need another "base" for 3-4 nights. Since we will not be driving, it's very important that our second "base" be on the main train line. Hence RiWinkl is sadly ruled out.

For this second "base" we are looking for a village/small town hotel or farmhouse that has fantastic facilities for young children and if it comes with someone's personal recommendation, that would be an added bonus!

:))

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Unfortunately the best reviewed of such hotels and farmhouses are already fully booked for our travel dates. Therefore we've not been able to find accommodation at more popular ones. I am hoping to find some suggestion on here of a similar guesthouse/hotel which might have availability.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Hi,

We've stayed at the Pension Mayringerlehen in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden many times. Fantastic place. This is not near the train station, which is 10 minutes away in Berchtesgaden. The bus from the Berchtesgaden station stops 3 min. walk from the Mayringerlehen.

You could also look into places on these websites:

www.ramsau.de

www.koenigssee.com/highlights.htm

Paul

Edited: 5:25 pm, February 15, 2013
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Friendly charming Bavarian villages/resorts?

Try looking here. You can put in various requirements in the search fields including nearness to public transportation. http://english.bauernhof-urlaub.com/

If you speak some German, send me a private message and I'll tell you where we stayed near Lake Chiemsee. They spoke no English whatsoever, but took us to and from the bus station in the nearby town.

Edited: 7:29 pm, February 15, 2013