We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Hello, all, probably a last minute impulse, but I am thinking (or dreaming) of going to Bavaria / Austria next month (i.e. maybe 14 days from 13 to 27 October). Currently, my idea is to do a loop from my start point Munich: (1) east to Salzberg area, (2) south & west to Innsbruck, (3) back north to the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Fussen areas, (4) north some more to Heidelberg, (5) east to Nuremberg, and finally (6) south to Munich for the flight home.

(A) I have consolidated a list of places (below) which I am interested in, but visiting them all (solely by public transport) seems rather impossible, so I would appreciate any comments on the places to focus on or skip over. Yes, my list looks crazy.

- Munich (2 days)

- Salzburg (2 days)

- Berchtesgaden / Lake Konigssee area (1 day)

- Hallstatt (1 day)

- Golling an der Salzach (half day)

- Hohenwerfen Castle (half day)

- Innsbruck (1 day)

- Mittenwald (half day)

- Garmisch-Partenkirchen / Zugspitze area (1.5 day)

- Wieskirche (half day)

- Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (1 day)

- Lindau / Maniau (1 day)

- Heidelberg (half day)

- Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber (half day)

- Würzburg (half day)

- Bamberg (half day)

- Nuremberg (1 day)

- Regensburg (half day)

- Munich and home

(B) It seems from the Eagles Nest website that it is closed for winter. Does this refer to only the restaurant itself? Can I still tour the area on my own?

Pardon the long post. I have not even started researching on accomodations and train/bus systems. Groan ...

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Your itinerary looks crazy because it is. Cut some things out. You haven't allowed for travel between destinations - even if you rented a car, it will still be crazy.

Looking at the last part of your itinerary, which is the area I have visited most recently and have the freshest memories - you have 3 days and 5 destinations. Pick 3 of the 5. Stay in one of the towns and day trip to the others. Nuremburg is a rail hub, so very convenient for day triping by train to other towns - the rail network is good though, so you can really stay in any and see the others. Bamberg is my favorite , so I'd probably stay there and take day trips to Wurzburg and 1 other town. Rothenburg obT is at the end of a rail spur, so probably the least convenient as a base.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

<Your itinerary looks crazy because it is.>

Ditto that. I agree with november that you need to cut down to three base locations and make day trips from there.

Salzburg and the surroundings needs 3-4 nights; you can base in Munich and visit Mittenwald and GP or vice versa.

A half day in Wurzburg and Bamberg is not worth the time and trouble. We prefer Wurzburg but would happily stay in either over Nuremberg.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Hi,

I'll comment on what I'm familiar with here. The places below we've been to many times.

- Munich (2 days)

- Salzburg (2 days)

- Berchtesgaden / Lake Konigssee area (1 day)

- Hallstatt (1 day)

My recommendation for the days after your 2 in Munich would be to pick a place (most likely Salzburg) for 4 nights and see what you can do from your list. I'd say Salzburg, Berchtesgaden/Konigsee, Hallstatt and maybe Hohenwerfen. These are pretty close together.

- Innsbruck (1 day)

- Mittenwald (half day)

- Garmisch-Partenkirchen / Zugspitze area (1.5 day)

Again, consolidate the places you stay out of these. I'd say either 3 nights in Mittenwald or Garmisch. Innsbruck and Garmisch are about an hour apart. Mittenwald is "in between", about 45 min. from Innsbruck and maybe 20 min. from Garmisch. I wouldn't stay in Innsbruck out of these 3 places.

- Wieskirche (half day)

- Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (1 day)

Once again, maybe stay in Fuessen a night or two and do these, plus maybe the Tegelberg luge and/or cable car trip a mile or so from Neuschwanstein.

Doesn't leave you with many days/nights left.

Paul

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Have you looked into flying into Munich and out of Frankfurt or vice versa? Even if it's a bit more for the flight (may not be), it could save money and time (not having to "back track").

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Just want to thank everyone for sparing the time with your helpful insights & suggestions, which would be very useful in my "purge" of the itinerary, e.g. building it around limited "bases of operations" and focusing on selected small towns (of a day each, for better appreciation and to slow the pace). Objective: Make the trip a holiday, not a horse raid.

Further comments / sharing on the places you love is totally welcome, and would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

My latest 14.5 days itinerary now is as below. Does the plan look feasible?

- Flight arrives in Munich, then go to Berchtesgaden lodging for the night

- (2 days) Berchtesgaden (e.g. places in the national park like Lake Konigssee, Obersalzberg & Eagle's Nest, Jenner Mountain, WWII sites) and on to Salzburg upon end of 2nd day

- (1.5 days) Salzburg (certainly Sound of Music tour, and think most sites are packed in the city itself)

- (1 day-trip from Salzburg) Werfen area (e.g. Eisriesenwelt and Hohenwerfen Castle)

- (1 day-trip from Salzburg) Hallstatt (should I go to up to the salt mine or just tour the town?) Upon return, proceed to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for the night

- (1 day) Garmisch-Partenkirchen (e.g. Zugspitze, Alpspitz & Partnach Gorge)

- (1 day) From Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Fussen (e.g. Ettal Abbey, Schloss Linderhof, and Wieskirche) As I hope to end up in Fussen for the night after the day, is it possible to take my luggage with me and tour the places using public transport?

- (1 day) Fussen (e.g. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau). Hopefully not end too late so as to allow time for the train up to Heidelberg for the night. Now sure how long the ride would be.

- (1 day) Heidelberg, then to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber for the night

- (1 day) Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, then to Nürnberg / Nuremberg

- (2 days) Nürnberg / Nuremberg, then back to Munich in the evening of the 2nd day

- (2 days) Munich, and flight home

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

IMO, it is as overscheduled as the first. You will spend all of your time moving around and will not see much of anything.

8. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, November 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
902 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

willsterstyle, great blog and photos, really lovely shots.

Very helpful with your detailed itinerary, too.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 days Bavaria / Austria Itinerary

Whirlwind, how did your itinerary finally end up? I'm doing a very similar 3 week tour around the same area and looking for info/tips for those that have done similar. Thanks.