We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freiburg to Munich suggestions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Freiburg to Munich suggestions

Our family is travelling from Freiburg to Munich next July. We have four nights to organise and will have a car. Obviously we want to see Neuschwanstein castle and some of the black forest. We were thinking maybe two nights in the black forest (hinterzarten?) and maybe two nights in Fussen/Kempten? Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Australia

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freiburg to Munich suggestions

From the 13-22July in the lovely town of Biberach an der Riss ( http://www.biberach-riss.de/index.phtml?La=2 ) is an excellent local festival, the Schützenfest ( http://biberacher-schuetzenfest.com/ only in German)- Shooting Festival. crossbows), which is one of Germany's largest historic festivals and also one of my favorite events in Germany, and much more enjoyable than others tourists may have heard of. This historical celebration involves many parades with participants in local historic costumes and settings, an excellent Dance through the Centuries program, children's theater, and of course on the Gigelberg the rides, food, beer tents, and other attractions such as reenactments of medieval life in encampments. Just an excellent event that should be the highlight of any trip!!!!

Biberach is on both the half-timbered house route and also the Baroque route as Upper Swabia ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de only in German) hosts Germany's most beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries. Other nice nearby sights include the "world's most beautiful village church" at Steinhausen ( www.kg-steinhausen.de/seiten/english.htm ), the monasteries at Ochsenhausen and Bad Schussenried (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), the recreated wooden fortress from the 1300s at Kanzach ( …exarc.net/institutional-members/bachritterb… ), the outdoor museum village of Upper Swabian historic houses at Kuernbach ( www.bad-schussenried.de/3395_DEU_WWW.php ) which has a nice old one lane bowling alley, and Germany's first beer mug museum at the brewery in Bad Schussenried ( steincollectors.org/library/…Schussen.html ).

This is my second-most favorite area of Germany, and my favorite is the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) between there and Freiburg with its many castles ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com , www.hohenzollern.de , www.schloss-lichtenstein.de ), caves, and excellent cliff-side scenery ( www.donaubergland.de , www.grosses-lautertal-alb.de both only in German).

For those websites that cannot be changed into English, use your computer browser's translation facility.

Edited: 2:30 am, February 02, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freiburg to Munich suggestions

Thank you very much for your reply. Sadly we will miss out on the festival as we are there from 6-10 July only :-(. I will check out all the links...

Cheers

David

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freiburg to Munich suggestions

You could also do a drive that includes my favorite in Germany. You could leave Freiburg going NE on Hwy 294 which will take you through the Black Forest to Freudenstadt, and then Hwy 28 to by Dornstetten where you can take Hwy 28a to the lovely ridgeline town of Horb am Neckar ( www.horb.de probably only in German). Continue on Hwy 28a which is´now also Hwy 14 to Rottenburg and then on to Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), our favorite town in Germany, just quintessential Germany, with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, and one of Europe's oldest universities. From there continue on the freeway Hwy 28 to Reutlingen where you can pick up Hwy 312 going east to Memmingen. I'll paste below what I have written about the rest of the trip.

My favorite drive in Germany is heading south from Stuttgart on the B27 freeway, and exiting for Reutlingen. Then take Hwy 312 east. You'll be driving up a narrow mountain valley, and soon will see Lichtenstein Castle perched on the cliffs ahead. After ascending the steep face of the Alb on the switchbacks, turn right at the traffic circle for the castle. Lichtenstein Castle ( www.schloss-lichtenstein.de ) is fairytale-like, as it should be, being the only castle in the world built based on a fairytale, this one by Hauff who lived in the village below. After a visit to this lovely castle, go back to the traffic circle and take the road which is now opposite which goes to the east toward Gomadingen and Münsingen. At Gomadingen take the road that goes along the Grosse Lauter River to Germany's oldest state stables at Marbach ( www.gestuet-marbach.de ). You can visit the magnificent stallions close-up in their stalls and the mares and foals will probably be out in the fields.

Continue on, and in a very short distance you can go left for a little of dark history. The palace in 1km is Grafeneck where the first Nazi extermination camp was and was the first use of gas chambers, this time used to "euthanize" mainly mentally handicapped people. All that is now there besides the palace (which you can't enter) is a small memorial. It's a shame that such a lovely spot was defiled in this manner. Then return the way you came and turn left to continue proceeding down along the river which has one of the highest concentrations of castle ruins (most visitable) in Germany. This is a lovely idyllic valley ( www.grosses-lautertal-alb.de only in German) which also has some pleasant small villages.

You'll soon be in Buttenhausen which once hosted a small Jewish community of which some sights still remain including the lovely Jewish cemetery on the hillside on the other side of the river ( http://www.buttenhausen.de/em_info.htm ).

Continue on, and at Indelhausen leave the river for Hayingen, although there are at least four more castle ruins further down along the river. Continue through Hayingen on the lovely road to Zwiefalten, and along the way on the right will be a turnoff for a mill and also a cave only enterable by boat, called Wimsenerhoehle or Friedrichshoehle ( agermanyattraction.com/germany-attractions-u… ). In Zwiefalten you rejoin Hwy 312 by the excellent former abbey church ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwiefalten_Abbey ). Continue east on Hwy 312 and you'll soon come to the lovely Danube River town of Riedlingen ( riedlingen.de/servlet/…index.html only in German), which can be bypassed if desired. At the first traffic light past the river on Hwy 312 you can turn right for the cheese factory salesroom if desired.

Continuing on, Upper Swabia's ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de ) holy mountain, the Bussen ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussen ), is on your left with a not too nice pilgrimage church. Before that, you could have also turned right and visited the recreated wooden fortress at Kanzach ( …exarc.net/institutional-members/bachritterb… ), but the most interesting thing for me is that my sister-in-law owns the river.

If you do either, neither or both, continue on Hwy 312 east. Biberach an der Riss ( http://www.biberach-riss.de/index.phtml?La=2 ) is an excellent place to visit and one of my favorite German towns. The church is my favorite in Germany, perhaps because I was married in it, just an excellent blend of simplicity and ornateness. Cafe Kolesch ( http://www.cafe-kolesch.de/ only in German) on Gymnasiumstrasse is one of Germany's best Conditorei's and you won't find better until you get to Munich, Stuttgart or Zurich. Their Wielandtorte is superb and was even served at last year's royal wedding in England. Behind it is a building that has a legitimate claim to be the oldest or one of the oldest German residences, old enough not to have a chimney.

Continuing eastward on Hwy 312 you'll soon pass my wife's home village, Ummendorf, worth a slight detour for our favorite beer at the brewery and also Germany's best Maultaschen either at the brewery's restaurant or the Adler. The church is quite nice and illustrates how lovely a more-or-less run-of-the mill church can be in this part of Germany which has Germany's most beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries and hosts the Baroque Route. Continuing along Hwy 312 you'll soon be in Ochsenhausen. The impressive monastery there (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ) sitting on a hillside dominating the town for me best represents the past power and influence of the Catholic Church in this part of Germany.

At Memmingen, don't get on the A7 autobahn, but take the road to Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) for its excellent monastery church interior, which is full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can easily be comprehended. Then get on the A7 to Fuessen.

That's more than enough to see for a day's drive, and you'll be able to do only a few of those things, but that's quite a selection of excellent things to choose from, and the drive itself is interesting and lovely, as I said, my favorite in Germany.

Oh, one other thing, even though all of those places are excellent to visit, you'll see few or no other tourists which makes for a very enjoyable time.

For those hotlinks that didn't paste right, have a look at #3 in tripadvisor.com/…38366050 .

Edited: 6:59 am, February 03, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Freiburg to Munich suggestions

Am planning a trip to Germany(Bavaria to be precise) mid June, this will really help plan that better.

Fussen was part of our plan.I read travelmiester's post that Neuschwanstein castle is covered with scaffolding. So should I drop off Fussen.

The route that I currently plan to take is munich-vienna-salzburg-fussen-interlaken-baden baden-rotenburg-stuttgart. (8 days).Munich and Stuttgart are just entry and exit points. We would like to stick to the countryside.

Suggested itinerary:

Walpertskirchen- via A9 Vienna- via S6 Salzburg- Fussen- Interlaken- via A81 Baden Baden-Rothenburg ob Tauber- via A7 Stuttgart (Too ambitious?)

If I were to drop off Fussen what would the best route be from salzburg to interlaken.

5. Re: Freiburg to Munich suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, May 18, 2013