We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

My family would very much like to take the tour to the summit of Zugspitze. We will be staying in Munich, near the main train station. I see that Gray Line tours offers a tour only on Sunday...how hard would this be to do on our own instead? It looks like we could take a train from Munich easily enough. Where do we catch the tour? Is it within easy walking distance from the train station in Garmisch? Can we be pretty certain that we will be able to join a tour if we just show up on a particular day? I have other Zugspitze questions too: is this only worth doing on a fairly clear day? Or could we get up in the mountains and see only......fog? Also, we will be there in mid June...how heavily should we dress? Would jeans and a light jacket be sufficient? Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
149 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

Hello to a fellow Lancastrian! We visited the Zugspitze in September, but had a car at the time. According to our guide book, you can purchase round trip tickets from Garmisch to the Zugspitze for around 44 euros. You don't need to be part of a tour-you simply show up and take the next available ride up. There is a monitor you can view before buying your tickets that shows you what the view from the top will be. It was cloudy while we were there, but we decided to go up anyway. The clouds parted once or twice, but visibility was poor. Perhaps it would be possible to check conditions before you leave Munich, but that's still not a guarantee that it will be clear when you arrive. Perhaps you could have a plan B in place in case the weather is bad.

Hope you have a great trip!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,913 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

Before you go up check the weather (forecast) and the webcams.

http://www.zugspitze.de/main_en.php

The chances are good in June for pleasant weather. But in the Alps the weather on such an altitude can be also really ugly.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Zugspitze

You can do this easily alone. Buy a Bavaria Ticket - a mini group day ticket for 2-5 persons for EUR 27,00. And in Garmisch a round trip ticket to the Zugspitze. Bavaria ticket will give you a discount on the Zugspitzbahn fare - but I'm not sure if this can be combined with the also discounted family ticket.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

By train, you will arrive at the Garmish DB station and the Zugspitzbahn station is on the other side of the tracks – west of the DB station. You need to exit the front of the DB station, turn left and walk down to Sankt-Martinstrasse, go under the DB tracks, then turn left again on Olympiastrasse up to the Zugspitzbahnhof station.

Yes, you may wish to check the weather forecast and webcam before you spend that much time and $ to be in the clouds. If you show your train ticket you get a discount.

4. Re: Garmisch/Zugspitze questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 17, 2009