We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving along romantic road in December

singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Driving along romantic road in December

Hi,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Germany in December (mainly for the christmas markets) and would really love to tour the towns along romantic road from Munich to Nuremberg. It seems the most convenient and comfortable way to travel is by car. We've driven overseas (like NZ, Australia, Hokkaido) but NEVER in winter/snow. I know it's hard to predict but what are my chances of snow on the romantic road that I have to use things like snow chains? (i.e. I cant drive "normally" like in summer). The last thing I want is to (my car to) get stuck in some snow (storm) that I have to make contingency plans.

My other option would be to base myself in Nuremberg and take day trips out from there. I've seen the DB website, but here's a question. For example, from Munich >> Rothenburg, I have to transit about 3 times. And each time, the transit is only 5-6 mins before the next train sets off. I'm assuming it's not a direct line train? Does this mean I have to get off and on the train 3 times within that very short window period? It sounds like a high chance of missing the connecting train! Am I reading it wrongly?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving along romantic road in December

Oh yes, I was planning a 3rd week december in munich, but if it makes a difference to my chances of not seeing "snow", I could postpone it to the first 2 weeks? Would that make much difference?

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,827 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving along romantic road in December

We can not predict next December's weather but usually it is not a time of year with much snow. Black ice can be an issue, especially in the early morning hours, but you are travelling to Bavaria, not Alaska. Roads get salted and cleared when necessary, so throughout the day driving on country roads like Romantische Strasse is not too difficult. And a car is definitely the better option for what you are up to. As you have already found out, Rothenburg is rather off all major railway lines.

Nuremberg would work very well as a base to explore Upper Franconia - Rothenburg, Bamberg, Würzburg, also Regensburg - though. Towns along the southern part of the Romantic Road like Landsberg or Füssen could be visited by train from Augsburg or Munich. At the foothills of the Alps an onset of winter sometime in early December is rather likely, often with mild temperatures again around Christmas.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
912 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Nuremberg
Nuremberg
Upper Franconia
Upper Franconia
Franconia, Germany
Bamberg
Bamberg
Upper Franconia, Germany
Augsburg
Augsburg
Swabia, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving along romantic road in December

WE have done this in winter and it was a fabulous trip. A car is good for the RR area. Nobody can predict what the weather will be, but we had very little snow. We did wake up one morning in Rothenburg odT to find the town blanketed in snow, it was so beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
4. Re: Driving along romantic road in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 05, 2018