We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire scam at AVIS

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire scam at AVIS

Beware of renting a car from Avis in Stuttgart! We have just rented one for 6 days (tiny VW Fox) and for the insurance to cover excess on CDW, we paid exactly TWICE what we paid to Europcar for 15 days in France for the same insurance, but for a much bigger , more expensive car! We felt obliged to take it out because they warned us that every scratch would be accounted for at the end of the rental period.They also charged us exorbitantly to fill the tank at the end. So avoid Avis if you can - it's the most expensive car hire we've had throughout the world!

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
France
France
Europe
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

why is this a scam? Charging more is not a scam. the CDW rates are readily available upon request. Germany and France are 2 different countries, but some how their insurance rates must be comparable?

Every car company charge exorbitantly to fill the tank for you.

>>it's the most expensive car hire we've had throughout the world!

You obviously haven't been to too many places.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
France
France
Europe
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

I have rented cars many times through Autourope and wound up several times with cars from AVIS. I have never taken out CDW because CDW is covered by my credit card, either VISA or AMEXCO.. I have had a couple of problems (twice the side view mirror was damaged, once parking and once when a car coming in the opposite direction came too close). My credit card companies took care of it. The only time I hade trouble with AVIS was when I didn;t carefully check out the car when I picked it up. The n they bille me (i.e.the credit card company) for repairs of previous damage.

In today's age of digital cameras, it always pays to take a pix of any previous damage.

The salesperson's scare tactics on trying to persuade you to take out CDW is strictly that: Sales talk to get you to buy the highly profitable supplemental insurance. You can get that Talk from any rental company.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

OK.....is CDW, CollisionDamageWaiver? We will be renting cars twice in Germany - once in Stuttgart and the other from Bonn. Does anyone know offhand if Bank of America or Capital One covers this CDW. I guess I can call and ask.

Any other renting tips? Take digital pic's of the car at pickup, fill up the car before return, wait for the agent to go over the car at return........

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Bonn
Bonn
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

We have reserved cars at AVIS.com and they quote the expected total cost, x petrol, at that time. I have found them to be very accurate.

In Europe, the only problem has been that our quote was in $ USD and the total bill, which was nearly the same number, was € Euros.

To get the amount changed and credited to the credit card, I had to call AVIS in the USA and send them cc's of the reservation which was quoted in $/day and the bill which was in €/days.

FYI, Hertz quotes were in €/day.

Example - Hertz would quote a compact car at 40 €/day while AVIS would quote the same model of compact car in $/day = nearly 20% cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

Good to know doug. I still have to reserve cars and from Stuttgart is one of them.

I answered my own question regarding that CDW policy. Visa, not specifically your credit card company, will cover that CDW. To be covered just use your visa to rent the car, in case anbody else wants to know.

Info about the CDW can be found at this link including Visa phone numbers in Germany to call should the rental agency insist you sign up for their CDW coverage:

…visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_wa…

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Germany
Germany
Europe
Mansfield, GA
Level Contributor
465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

Suburbanite,

You may want to try gemut.com for your rental. Bob Bestor will quote you rates in US $$ and will guarantee to get you the lowest rate upon confirmation. Also will assist you with any issues you may have with the car or the rental company. We used him while traveling in Germany and Austria previously and he was able to get us reimbursed for an overcharge by the rental company. Very knowledgeable and first class service based on our experience. I think it would be worth a call or e mail to them for comparison purposes. They also have a nice informative web site. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

Remember in future (no matter where you hire your car) don't leave it to the company to fill it for you. Do it before you return it. They usually warn you. And read the small print before you sign. This will save you surprises which you consider a scam.

Car hire in Germany is expensive just like anything else in Germany.

Their insurance cover is better than the French one or the British one.

I hire a car regularly when I visit Germany. It is cheaper if you book from outside Germany rather than doing it when you arrive.

Same applies to UK by the way.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
South Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

Yes, I had the same returning a car to Avis at Schoenefeld, Berlin. They charged my card 750 Euros for damage that I know was not done during my rental. Later they made a small partial refund; we are still fighting. I believe my credit card will eventually pick up the cost, but I find it very frustrating. Pretty much the renter is helpless after the fact.

This weekend we used a different company (ie NOT AVIS) and were very careful to have it checked thoroughly.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

In Stuttgart, I have rented from Avis, Europcar and Sixst..On 3 different occasions and in the same order..

From what I have been through, Europcar was the worst.. and Avis was no better.

Sixst is the WINNER.. Very helpful and cooperative saleswomen during both taking the car (Stuttgart) and returning back (Munich).

G'day

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
10. Re: Car hire scam at AVIS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 09, 2009