We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sites to see near Abstatt, Germany

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Sites to see near Abstatt, Germany

I am looking for suggstions for a trip I am taking in June to Abstatt Germany. What would you suggest I visit on my one free day in the vicinity. By car or train, either is OK.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sites to see near Abstatt, Germany

Abstatt lies a short distance to the SE of Heilbronn. Some places very close by are the nice town of Beilstein which has a castle with a bird of prey show, the excellent church at Oberstenfeld which you'll probably have to request permission to enter, Untergruppenbach has a large palace, and Lauffen ( www.lauffen.de only in German) to the west on the Neckar River is one of our favorite towns in the area having a small completely walled oldtown and an excellent restaurant at the Elefant Hotel. The red wines at Rolf Willy just to its north in Nordheim are excellent as it is one of Germany's best wineries and it is signposted being on the Württemberg Wine Route. Besigheim ( www.besigheim.de only in German) to the SW of Abstatt, again on the Neckar and Enz Rivers, was recently voted Germany's most picturesque wine town. Just to its east is Hessigheim where the terraced vineyards of the Neckar River are at their steepest and highest.

Slightly further away are the former imperial town of Bad Wimpfen ( www.badwimpfen.de ) to the NW, the excellent medieval town of Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebioschhall.de ) to the east with its nextdoor unique excellent walled fortified (Geoss)comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ), actually a large medieval church and monastery within a large medieval castle.To the south lie Steinheim am Murr with its prehistoric Man Museum, Marbach am Neckar ( www.marbach.de ) which is the birthplace of the poet Schiller and hosts his archives, Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) which has Germany's largest perfectly preserved palace and the longest and best palace tours that I've had in all of Europe (the afternoon English one), and Stuttgart with its large city sighrs such as the more than excellent Mercedes Benz Museum, Porsche Museum, Europe's largest combination zoo-botanical garden, etc. Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) just to its east has an excellent well-preserved medieval oldtown.

Just a few ideas of things that you could visit, there are many more. Have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 .

Unless visiting Ludwigsburg, Stuttgart or Esslingen, I would drive in order to visit several of the excellent places in the area conveniently and easily.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sites to see near Abstatt, Germany

I#ll correct a few typos- "excellent medieval town of Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebioschhall.de ) to the east with its nextdoor unique excellent walled fortified (Geoss)comburg Monastery" should read "excellent medieval town of Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ) to the east with its nextdoor unique excellent walled fortified (Gross)comburg Monastery

and here's a hotlink for Hessigheim- www.hessigheim.de only in German

another for Rolf Willy Winery- http://www.rolf-willy.de/ part is in English

3. Re: Sites to see near Abstatt, Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, May 21, 2015