We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuttgart to Frankfurt

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stuttgart to Frankfurt

Part of our trip will involve getting from Stuttgart to Frankfurt. I have heard that Heidelberg is on the way. Wondering whether it is worthwhile to hire a car to drive from Stuttgart to Frankfurt, is there other quaint little town along the way we can visit?

If we are going to hire a car, may be it is more economical to hire it for more then one day, is there other good scenic spots/ castles/ vineyards around Stuttgart that we can do as a driving day trip?

We have already planned to visit the Mercedes and Porsche museum but those are well serviced by public transport, right?

With me is my wife and an 8 yrs old kid, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

Read what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 which will give several weeks' or months' worth of excellent interresting things to see and do in and around Stuttgart.

Both the Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums are easily and inexpensively reached by public transportation. For the Porsche Museum, take the S-6 from the main train station to the Neuwirtshaus (Porsche Platz) stop. The museum is a few meters away. For the Mercedes Benz Museum, you have more options. My preferred one would be to take the S-1, S-2 or S-3 one stop from the main train station and then get off at the first stop at Bad Cannstatt. On the north side of the station will be a bus that will take you directly to the museum. Check its return times from the museum to maximize your stay. Alternatively, the S-1 can be taken to the next stop after the Bad Cannstatt one, I believe it's now called Neckar Park, and you can walk about 10 minutes from there, and there should be signs. It's also good to check the return times of the S-bahn if you do this. Of course, you can also travel one way and return the other way.

Stuttgart is Germany's largest city with vineyards, and they are extensive at that making it a rarity for a such a large European city. There are pleasant scenic panoramic walks through the vineyards with places wineries and places to eat along the way. The city tourist information office has brochures in several of these walks, and my favorite is the very scenic panoramic one from Obertuerkheim to the Wine Museum in Uhlbach. The internet site for these is www.stuttgarter-weinwanderweg.de , but it is only in German. Obertuerkheim is also on the S-1 line probably two stops further than the NeckarPark one.

My favorite vineyard is Rolf Willy in Nordheim which is north of Stuttgart along the Neckar River just to the SW of Heilbronn. Unfortunately, their website is now under construction. They are one of Germany's best wineries and have many excellent red wines. (The Wuerttemberg Wine Area unlike other wine areas of Germany is predominantly red wines, not white ones.) Basically, the drive north from Stuttgart along the Neckar River is excellent. The first place of significance you will come to is Ludwigsburg which has Germany's largest perfectly-preserved (all original) palace with several days' worth of things to see. Then comes Besigheim ( www.besigheim.de only in German) which was recently voted Germany's most picturesque wine place. Just to its east is Hessigheim where the terraced Neckar River vineyards are at their highest and steepest. A little furthe on along Hwy 27 is another favorite town of ours, Lauffen, which has a nice small completely walled oldtown. From there, you can drive the few kilometers to Nordheim where the Rolf Willy Winery will be signposted with a brown sign as it is on the Wuerttemberg Wine Route which you have been driving on.

If you continue on Hwy 27 on the other side of Heilbronn will be the excellent imperial oldtown of Bad Wimpfen. Just continue along the Neckar River to Heidelberg on Hwy 37 after Hwy 27 turns off. The salt mine at Bad Friedrichshall has recently reopened for tours if that interests you. There will be several castles along the way to Heidelberg. This entire drive is very scenic with castles and terraced vineyards and is one of my favorites.

Mentioned in this post
Porsche Museum
Porsche Museum
3,680 Reviews
Stuttgart, Germany
Mercedes-Benz Museum
Mercedes-Benz Museum
6,595 Reviews
Stuttgart, Germany
Neckar Park
Neckar Park
501 Reviews
Stuttgart, Germany
Nordheim
Nordheim
Heilbronn
Heilbronn
Germany
Germany
Europe
Ludwigsburg
Ludwigsburg
Besigheim
Besigheim
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Bad Friedrichshall
Bad Friedrichshall
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

Thanks a lot. This and some of your other postings are a great help. There are plenty for me to follow up and how to fit them together. Google map should be a big help here.

Re Driving in Germany, may I assume that it is relatively easy for me to input the Germany names into the English GPS and just follow the instructions? Any particular things I need to be aware of for driving in Germany? I am from Australia so I think I am on the right side of the road.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

I've never used a GPS in Germany and usually rely on large scale detailed maps that show hundreds or thousands of places of interest on them. I don't have the slightest clue how entering place names would work. Be aware that German has a few extra letters than English. They are the double s- ß = ss, not a capital B; and the umlauted vowels with two dots above them where Ä = Ae, ä = ae, Ö = Oe, ö = oe; Ü = Ue, and ü = ue. I don't know what happens if you ignore the umlauts as TripAdvisor does. You could end up in a completely wrong place hundreds of kilometers away.

All of mainland Europe including Germany drives on the right-hand side of the road, the opposite of Australia and the U.K.

The important thing in Germany is to keep to the right except when passing on highways, passing on the right is forbidden, and on the autobahns cars can be driving exceedingly fast so carefully check when changing lanes. Otherwise, most traffic rules will probably be similar. It might be a good idea to check the traffic rules and signs on the Internet before driving there.

Be aware that the center of many larger places are largely traffic-free pedestrian only zones where you usually can't drive. If you are only visiting major cities where public transportation is frequent and excellent, than forget using a car there. Cars are excellent for visiting more rual places throughout the countryside where they may be the only means of access and will certainly allow you to see a lot more even if there is public transportation in these places as you can stop when and where you like, and for as little or long as you like, and not be forced to rely on a probably inconvenient infrequent bus and train schedules.

Do be careful of whom you rent a car from. Just enter on the Germany forum the search terms rental car scam and you should get some good advice and know which rental firms to avoid.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

Hi down under

Good suggestions from marcopolko. An other idear is to visit Marbach, very nice and the Hometown of Friedrich Schiller, nearby Stuttgart. An other route on Highway would pas Karlsruhe, nice Town with iterestring Castle, at the side of the River Rhine Highway A8 and A5.

One word to the difference of Driving, The Areas without speedlimt on Highway (more on the route along Karlsruhe). And at pedestrain- grossing or zepragrossing you absolutly have to give way to pedestrains. Whatch out for children, they often dont look carefuly enough.

Hope you have so mutch fun then I hade once in Australia

Mentioned in this post
Karlsruhe
Karlsruhe
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

The route north along the Neckar past Bad Wimpfen is very pretty. If you go to Ludwigsburg watch out for the speed cameras. It is not that the fines are so high but the rental agencies charge about €30 to pass your details on. Putting names into the GPS should be fine for bigger cities but for smaller ones you might be better to enter the postcode(5numbers) as there can be a number of cities with the same name in Germany. Supposedly Queen Elisabeth expressed a desire to see Marbach, there are several one is famous for horses. She got taken to the birthplace of Schiller ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Ludwigsburg
Ludwigsburg
Germany
Germany
Europe
6. Re: Stuttgart to Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014