We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rush hour on the S-bahn

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Rush hour on the S-bahn

What time does rush hour begin on a weekday please? I have to travel from the Hbf to the airport for a flight with check-in closing at 10 a.m. I only have a carry-on, but it's still luggage which could inconvenience other commuters. So if I were to plan to leave at 7.30 is that early enough to miss the beginning of the rush hour or not?

Also, what would be the destination to put in on the ticket machine please? Flughafen?

Thank you.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,926 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

> a flight with check-in closing at 10 a.m

It would be sufficient to take a S-Bahn train departing at 08:45 or 08:55 for this. Travel time is 27 minutes. This would be also a the end of the morning rush hour. While 07:30 is really in the mid of it.

Many passengers of the incoming S-Bahn trains at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof will exit there. Thus it's normally no problem to get on the trains there. More problematic at the stops before Hauptbahnhof. The S-Bahn station at the Hauptbahnhof will be however busy.

The destination stop is called "Flughafen/Messe". Served by the S-Bahn lines S2 and S3.

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

Thank you!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

At that time in the morning I always pay the couple of euros extra and go in 1st, same seats but much quieter.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

Please excuse my ignorance, I didn't know 1st class was available on these trains. I would certainly be happy to pay more for a less crowded option. I was trying to figure it out from the www.vvs.de site but maybe I should be looking at www. bahn.de? Since the ticket has to be validated before travelling, can I buy it ahead so that I avoid rush hour lines at the ticket machines? I know it has to be a 3 zone ticket, I thought a single trip ticket would be the right one.

I'm sorry if these seem silly questions, the more I can plan ahead the less likely I will panic, and the English/Italian translations on the websites are a bit confusing. There are no prices, for instance, I suppose because these tickets can't be bought on the internet. Thanks again for your help.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

The tickets are available in ticket machines in S bahn stations. They will operate in English, but your ticket to the airport .Then do it again but for ticket type choose 1st class supplement. Have coins or note not bigger than €10 and in fairly good condition,the machines can be fussy!

6. Re: Rush hour on the S-bahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 11, 2014