We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet tickets

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
32 reviews
Ballet tickets

I'm thinking of attending a ballet performance at the Opera House this summer and would be grateful for any tips on booking tickets. From what I see on the website, online booking is possible by sending in a request but seats are allotted, you don't get to choose. If I were to telephone would there be any chance of choosing my seat, or of booking at all since the booking period hasn't yet started? I'm also wondering about prices, usually opera is more expensive than ballet, but I haven't been able to work out what the best seats for ballet are likely to cost. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Ballet tickets

Ticket information can be found at http://www.stuttgart-ballet.de/tickets/ . I believe that if you go to the specific performance you wish to attend, you can book from the available seats. After the time when it is possible to book tickets for a performance, of course you can telephone in, or just use the website. Not every seat will be available, as many people hold subscriptions for the performances. People holding subscriptions may turn in their tickets for resale before the performance, therefore some of the best tickets may only become available for sale after this time.

On the website will be a range of prices after you have selected the performance in which you are interested. Typically, prices range from 10-100€.

Note that the opera house/ballet/theater is closed most of August. At the beginning of August there should be a free special performance which can be viewed in the gardens outside.

The opera house is worth touring. It is Europe's largest three part house: opera, ballet and theater. Tour times should be listed on the website. You will first be seated in the auditorium and be told about the history. You'll also be told such things as all of the Cranko productions have to be performed in the same manner as when he was alive, no changes at all are permitted in any part of the productions. While you're sitting there, work will probably be going on on-stage. Then you view the stage area and can marvel at how so much can be crammed in so little space. After viewing the storage facilities, you'll view where the scenery is created, and costumes produced. Perhaps someone will be creating footwear, head-ware, or other costume parts. And then when you leave and people are entering for that night's performance, you can marvel at how unready the stage appeared for that night's performance. Just an excellent informative tour, even if it is possibly only in German, to see what happens backstage and to prepare for performances.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Ballet tickets

Thank you, marcopolko. The ballet I'm interested in is in July and not on sale yet, so the prices aren't listed. Waiting till the booking period opens in May will be nerve-racking, which is why I was hoping to find a way to pre-book. Perhaps emailing is the way to go.

The tour sounds very interesting but my complete lack of German limits me.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Ballet tickets

I finally wound up with a spare ticket. I read on the website that refunds are not available, but is it possible to return tickets to the box office for resale? Or to sell them at the theatre before the (now sold-out) performance? I am working on learning a few basic phrases in German to be polite, but I would hesitate to try to handle a transaction in German. Would I be wrong in assuming that this could be done in English?

4. Re: Ballet tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 05, 2014