We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket Details

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ticket Details

Hi,

I plan to visit Stuttgart/Schorndorf on 21-22-23 April 2012 coming in the morning of 21st April to Stuttgart Central Bus Stand from Brussels.

I will be staying with family at Schorndorf on 21st and 22nd but plan to visit some of the sights around Stuttgart.

I plan to vist the Mercedes & Porsche museums and even take a half day sightseeing tour (if available) on Sunday 22nd April 2012.

Can someone please advice if the VVS ticket will work for me and allow me to travel to and from Schorndorf in addition to .getting discounted tickets to the attractions.

Also any English site which details all the discounts available by the VVS ticket or any such similar ticket.

Many thanks...

Can

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket Details

VVS has some information in English

http://www.vvs.de/en/

From Stuttgart to Schorndorf you need VVS tickets for 5 zones. Single ticket is EUR 5,90. Day ticket is EUR 13,80.

Not aware of any discounts coming with these tickets.

There is the StuttCard which gives you 50% discount e.g. on the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Museum (thus EUR 4 each).

www.stuttgart-tourist.de/en/o-stuttcard-2012

Esp. of interest may be the version which includes a 3-days VVS ticket for the whole VVS network which is EUR 22,00.

You can get this a the tourist information at Königstrasse 1

stuttgart-tourist.de/en/tourist-information

The guy on the photo stands in front of the tourist information. In the background the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and behind the trees there is the bus station.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket Details

From 21Apr to 13May is the world's largest Spring beer festival in Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de, Fruehlingsfest ( www.stuttgarter-fruehlingsfest.de only in German).

The Stuttgart ZOB bus station is no longer in central Stuttgart due to the construction of the new train station, but in Obertuerkheim, so you'll first have to take the S-bahn into Bad Cannstatt or Stuttgart to transfer to the S-2 to Schorndorf. The tourist information office remains across the street from the main train station on Koenigstrasse.

As you appear to be interested in cars, the automobile inventor Daimler's House in Schorndorf has been turned into a museum dedicated to him which has the world's first motorcycle.

Use of a VVS ticket by itself does not give you any discounts. The previously mentioned Stuttcard does. One other ticket that gives you discounts is the Metropolticket ( http://www.metropolticket.de/ ) which covers a good share of Wuerttemberg centered on Stuttgart (a much larger area than the VVS transportation district). The discounts for the VVS area can be seen at metropolticket.de/die-freizeitziele/… and the other regions by clicking on them, such as half price admission to the Porsche Museum. Unfortunately, the Metropolticket website is only in German.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket Details

son is traveling from DTW (detroit, mi) to Schwäbisch Hall for about 2 months of immersion language school. GOOD FOR HIM!! I have been clicking around for roundtrip flights either to NYE (Nuremberg) .. -or- FRA (Frankfurt) ...-or- STR (Stuttgart) ... and to claim that i am 'confused' would be an understatement.

i thoguht that Sat-Sat flights would be least expensive (the >key< desire) and they seem to be. however (exaggerating here) a $200 ticket has $800 in taxes and fees while an $800 ticket has only $200 in taxes adn fees. soooooo, am I beating myself up by trying to save a dollar or two? or is there a decent way to get the best price? +/-$100 does make a difference..

i -do- want him to arrive a couple days early to adjust for the west->east time zone change (it's a turkey! been there; done that). he has to be in class monday, 07may2012, and can leave late friday (or later) 29jun2012.

and, what is your opinion/knowlege about mid-week travel costs?

regards, oscarandpeach@yahoo.com

Jerusalem, Israel
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket Details

I think flying into the main hubs FRA or MUC should be preferred and afterwards travelling by DB trains (bahn.de).

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ is a flight search engine that might help you.

Edited: 6:43 pm, April 10, 2012
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket Details

Hi

thanks for the comprehensive response

Can you advice on the Hop on hop off tour bus which can also be combined with stutcard ?

Will that cover the automobile museum, beer festival and other good tourist points in the city ?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket Details

w0w - edbulx - matrix is excellent !!! tnx! can;t buy tikx directly, but can go to 'details' airline site and purchase from there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket Details

The Stuttgart Hop On-Hop Off buses have two routes, both leaving from the center of Stuttgart at the Schlossplatz. I doubt that they go to the Wasen for the beer festival, but they do go to other places that may be of interest to you. They started this up last year, and I have never used them. We just get the VVS tickets that will give us the best price to do what WE want. I believe there is only one bus an hour along each route (check on www.stuttgart-tourist.de ). Almost all U-bahns and buses run every 10 minutes during the time places will be open to visit, and no place will be far away from such a stop.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket Details

OscarandPeach,

Flights to Stuttgart which will be your closest airport via KLM and Amsterdam used to be one of my cheapest travel options, but that was leaving from Stuttgart as KLM would give me a much cheaper ticket as they initiated the flight from Stuttgart to Amsterdam, and then would have me fly NWA from Amsterdam to Detroit and about the USA and back to Amsterdam. Then back on KLM to Stuttgart. So, they got a fairly large percentage of the NWA flights for doing little except provide two short flights and book the ticket.

You might try the same with an American carrier, perhaps flying first to Chicago and then using their foreign alliance partners to fly to Frankfurt. They can easily afford to give you a great deal, but perhaps they are unwilling to.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticket Details

much obliged ... short story though, helicopter/martyr wife pulled a lucy (see charlie brown cartoon) and paid tooooo much becuase it was an 'easy click'.

so the kid sits in the newark airport fo r5 hrs rather than 4 hrs in london. and an excess ~$250 down the drain. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

10. Re: Ticket Details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, June 19, 2013