We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
603 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Hello. Will be in Stuttgart and want to get to Fussen where I will pick up a rental car to tour that whole southern area. My question - is the train ride fairly scenic? I would love to see some beautiful vistas on the way down...but not have to drive to obtain that.

Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Have you already checked whether you will be able to rent a car in Fuessen as rental choices are quite limited there?

Probably the most scenic part of the train ride will be between Stuttgart and Ulm when you ascend the mountains of the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ). However, there are many lovely scenic drives that you can make with lots of interesting places to visit along the way.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
603 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Hmmm, no, I have not looked into the rental agencies in Fussen and just assumed there would be plenty. Good point, I will have to re-think the train option and/or that stop. Is there a better stop in the general southern area where car rentals are easier?

I may also entertain the idea of driving the whole way since, like you mention, there are many scenic options along the way.

Many thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

I'm not sure of the rail route, but if you want to rent closer, Ulm is certainly on the way and about 1.5 hours from Fuessen, but Fuessen is only about a 2.5 hour drive by autobahn from Stuttgart, but I enjoy another drive which I describe below which should take only about an additional hour without stops along the way, and actually will be faster if there are any traffic jams along the autobahns.

My favorite drive in Germany is heading south from Stuttgart on the B27 freeway, and exiting for Reutlingen. Then take Hwy 312 east. You'll be driving up a narrow mountain valley, and soon will see Lichtenstein Castle perched on the cliffs ahead. After ascending the steep face of the Alb on the switchbacks, turn right at the traffic circle for the castle. Lichtenstein Castle ( www.schloss-lichtenstein.de ) is fairytale-like, as it should be, being the only castle in the world built based on a fairytale, this one by Hauff who lived in the village below. After a visit to this lovely castle, go back to the traffic circle and take the road which is now opposite which goes to the east toward Gomadingen and Münsingen. At Gomadingen take the road that goes along the Grosse Lauter River to Germany's oldest state stables at Marbach ( www.gestuet-marbach.de ). You can visit the magnificent stallions close-up in their stalls and the mares and foals will probably be out in the fields.

Continue on, and in a very short distance you can go left for a little of dark history. The palace in 1km is Grafeneck where the first Nazi extermination camp was and was the first use of gas chambers, this time used to "euthanize" mainly mentally handicapped people. All that is now there besides the palace (which you can't enter) is a small memorial. It's a shame that such a lovely spot was defiled in this manner. Then return the way you came and turn left to continue proceeding down along the river which has one of the highest concentrations of castle ruins (most visitable) in Germany. This is a lovely idyllic valley ( www.grosses-lautertal-alb.de only in German) which also has some pleasant small villages.

You'll soon be in Buttenhausen which once hosted a small Jewish community of which some sights still remain including the lovely Jewish cemetery on the hillside on the other side of the river ( http://www.buttenhausen.de/em_info.htm ).

Continue on, and at Indelhausen leave the river for Hayingen, although there are at least four more castle ruins further down along the river. Continue through Hayingen on the lovely road to Zwiefalten, and along the way on the right will be a turnoff for a mill and also a cave only enterable by boat, called Wimsenerhoehle or Friedrichshoehle ( agermanyattraction.com/germany-attractions-u… ). In Zwiefalten you rejoin Hwy 312 by the excellent former abbey church ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwiefalten_Abbey ). Continue east on Hwy 312 and you'll soon come to the lovely Danube River town of Riedlingen ( riedlingen.de/servlet/…index.html only in German), which can be bypassed if desired. At the first traffic light past the river on Hwy 312 you can turn right for the cheese factory salesroom if desired.

Continuing on, Upper Swabia's ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de ) holy mountain, the Bussen ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussen ), is on your left with a not too nice pilgrimage church. Before that, you could have also turned right and visited the recreated wooden fortress at Kanzach ( …exarc.net/institutional-members/bachritterb… ), but the most interesting thing for me is that my sister-in-law owns the river.

If you do either, neither or both, continue on Hwy 312 east. Biberach an der Riss ( http://www.biberach-riss.de/index.phtml?La=2 ) is an excellent place to visit and one of my favorite German towns. The church is my favorite in Germany, perhaps because I was married in it, just an excellent blend of simplicity and ornateness. Cafe Kolesch ( http://www.cafe-kolesch.de/ only in German) on Gymnasiumstrasse is one of Germany's best Conditorei's and you won't find better until you get to Munich, Stuttgart or Zurich. Their Wielandtorte is superb and was even served at last year's royal wedding in England. Behind it is a building that has a legitimate claim to be the oldest or one of the oldest German residences, old enough not to have a chimney.

Continuing eastward on Hwy 312 you'll soon pass my wife's home village, Ummendorf, worth a slight detour for our favorite beer at the brewery and also Germany's best Maultaschen either at the brewery's restaurant or the Adler. The church is quite nice and illustrates how lovely a more-or-less run-of-the mill church can be in this part of Germany which has Germany's most beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries and hosts the Baroque Route. Continuing along Hwy 312 you'll soon be in Ochsenhausen. The impressive monastery there (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ) sitting on a hillside dominating the town for me best represents the past power and influence of the Catholic Church in this part of Germany.

At Memmingen, don't get on the A7 autobahn, but take the road to Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) for its excellent monastery church interior, which is full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can easily be comprehended. Then get on the A7 to Fuessen.

That's more than enough to see for a day's drive, and you'll be able to do only a few of those things, but that's quite a selection of excellent things to choose from, and the drive itself is interesting and lovely, as I said, my favorite in Germany.

Oh, one other thing, even though all of those places are excellent to visit, you'll see few or no other tourists which makes for a very enjoyable time.

Edited: 12:48 pm, January 30, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,043 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Between Stuttgart and Ulm there is the Geislinger Steige (Geislingen Climb). With an incline 2,25% this is really steep for a main railway line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQoBMcQ98g

And it is also scenic towards Füssen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1OHIxBJ2W0

A bigger town close to Füssen with branches of the bigger rental companies is Kempten. Similar landscape - just that the mountains are a bit more distant.

http://www.kempten.de/en/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

abalada,

Interesting seeing a steam engine in action in that video. This last Christmas I became aware of two steam train day-trip journeys from Stuttgart to two Christmas Markets, those in Bad Wimpfen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. A change to the other ones that are usually in the warmer months.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
603 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Marco - your suggestion above sounds so wonderful. Thank you very much for putting that together....I believe that's what we'll do instead of the train. I can't wait!

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
603 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Marcopolko: Since I first posted this, my trip has firmed up and I now have a more certain route. We will be renting a car in Stuttgart and driving (for 10 glorious days) throughout southern Germany and Austria....I can not wait! We decided, at some of your great advice, to visit the town of Meersburg for two days as our first stop. My question is....you set out a wonderful driving plan above for me that included wonderful stops/sights, can you maybe re-copy for me what part of this path I follow to Meersburg since I'm no longer going directly to Fussen first?

Danke

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

Have a look at what I wrote in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k4853… . Hwy 27 will first take you to Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), our favorite town in Germany, worth in itself a half day. Just to its north is the delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). Continuing on down Hwy 27, just past Hechingen is the fairytale-like castle, Burg Hohenzollern ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ). I hadn't really mentioned these places in the trip report above as we didn't stop in any of them having visited them before, but they are all excellent to visit.

A nice drive is to leave Hwy 27 at Echterdingen before the Stuttgart Airport turnoff and take the back road through the Schönbuch Forest to Tuebingen via Waldenbuch and the Ritter SPORT chocolate factory which has a nice museum of art in the form of squares (its candy bar shape), a small museum of chocolate manufacture, and a large sales room at discounted prices. Continuing on to Tuebingen you will come out of the forest at Bebenhausen Monastery. There were detours on this route the last time we drove it in the Fall, but perhaps that will have been completed before your trip.

9. Re: Train from Stuttgart to Fussen - How Scenic??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 25, 2013