We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in October or February?

reading
2 posts
Save Topic
Visit in October or February?

Would be grateful for any views on whether to visit Stuttgart this coming October for our half term holiday (lasting one week at the end of October) or to come in mid February 2008. We have two children aged 10 and 13. Is it likely to be snowing in February and very cold? There seem to be a number of indoor activities like the thermal baths and the museums but the children like to run around outside. What is the weather in October usually like? Unfortunately the weather online website is not fully operational so I cannot find out in the history section about previous Octobers in Stuttgart.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit in October or February?

October is the better time for any outdoor activities.

There can be a sunny "Golden October". No guarantee on this however. Nights will be already quite chilly, day time temperatures can be still quite nice.

Not much snow in the valleys where Stuttgart centre and e.g. Bad Cannstatt are located.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit in October or February?

October will be cool to warm, February cool to cold. As the main part of Stuttgart sits in a valley it is much warmer than the other parts which can be over 300 meters higher and where it is more likely to find snow. February would be a nice time to visit if it coincides with carnival. The Wuerttemberg state museum in the old palace will be having its mummy and Egyptian special exhibit at both times. October certainly will be much warmer and also places to visit away from Stuttgart that are seasonal will still be open whereas some places in February could be closed.

Wilhelma (www.wilhelma.de) is Europe's largest combined zoo and botanical gardens and is enjoyable any time of year, even if it is raining or snowing, as there are plenty of greenhouses, the Amazon house, etc. to visit in inclement weather. Besides the plants and animals, the Moorish architecture of this former palace is nice.

Visiting the outdoor observation deck of the world's first modern TV tower would be best in October. The large park Hoehekillesberg with its observation tower, some animals and flamingos, and a long small steam train ride is also best done in October, as most things there including the bathrooms are closed in February.

The outdoor pool, at least at the Berg mineral bath, is also open in the winter and I always marvel at people swimming in it if there is now around it on the ground.

Germany's largest perfectly preserved Baroque palace at Ludwigsburg with its tourable royal rooms, four excellent museums, two associated smaller palaces in a deer park, and extensive gardens (including a fairytale one) would be best in October for the gardens and the special pumpkin exhibition in which Europe's largest pumpkins are on display and there are large decorations made of pumpkins and squash.

There are two nice fairytale-like castles close to the south of Stuttgart. Hohenzollern www.burg-hohenzollern.com (Hechingen) will be open both dates, but Lichtenstein www.Schloss-Lichtenstein.de will be closed in February.

reading
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit in October or February?

Thank you very much for the extremely useful and detailed information and for your very prompt answers.

Since posting my question I now think that the Easter holidays which are for a fortnight starting 5th April 2008 may be possible as Easter itself is in March. The pumpkin exhibition will obviously have closed but do you think the other suggested places to visit will be open?

It sounds that October would be a better time to visit than February but what do you thnk of April? I imagine it might be colder than October but less so than February.

I have visited Stuttgart for the laying of a stolpersteine last November for my great great uncle and his wife and would like to take my children to see the stone. Unfortunately it has been vandalised. I am sure they would love the zoo which was the best I have seen. I enjoyed my stay and met some very hopsitable people involved with the Stolpersteine fur Stuttgart initiative.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit in October or February?

The weather at the end of April will be quite nice and there would then be Europe's largest Spring beer festival which goes into May which is probably my favorite month in Stuttgart. The beginning of April is difficult to predict as the days could be quite warm or quite cool. Most of the tourist places that close for the winter should reopen in April. The pumpkin festival in Ludwigsburg really peaks in early November, but the pumpkin displays are put up much earlier. In Stuttgart itself, it makes little difference when you visit during the year (except for special events) as almost all places that tourists visit will be open with a very few exceptions like the wine museum in the Uhlback part of Stuttgart. In April the new Porsche museum should be open which would be nice to visit as well as the excellent Mercedes Benz museum.

I just thought of something else your children would probably enjoy. On clear nights they can look through the telescope at the small observatory on Uhlandshoehe which is the high ridge just to the east of the city center.

5. Re: Visit in October or February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 09, 2009