We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine-wine tasting?

Which Stuttgart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
wine-wine tasting?

Hi! I hope someone can help me with this... I will be around Stuttgart at the end of Sept and wanted to know which wineries I should go to (whcih would you prefer?) and which have wine tastings. Do I have to go in a group for wine tastings or will they serve to just a few people?

Thanks for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine-wine tasting?

Unfortunately you will be too late for the "Wine Village" where local food and wine is showcased in the center of town in a festival in late August early September and attracts over a million visitors. As Stuttgart is on the Wuerttemberger Weinstrasse, some vineyards which offer wine tasting will be signposted, but I've never seen them signposted in Stuttgart, probably as we don't usually drive through those parts of town. There is a wine museum in the Uhlback part of Stuttgart where many of the vineyards are, and you should be able to tast wines there or nearby. (see www.stuttgart.de and www.stuttgart-tourist.de) The museum is free but is only open April to October on Sat. 2-6PM and Sun. and holidays 10-12AM and 2-6PM. I would contact the tourist office at the latter website and request maps of the Wuerttemberger Weinstrasse among other information. The "Grave Chapel" of Kings and Queens of Wuerttemberg on the hill above Uhlback has nice views over the vineyards and parts of Stuttgart.

At the end of September it is a lovely time to drive north along the Neckar River with the numerous vineyards with ripe grapes on the vine. Besigheim and Lauffen (nice completely walled part) have nice old town centers, the Elefant hotel has an excellent restaurant in Lauffen, and a few kilometers to the NW is Nordheim which has the only vineyard we visit, Rolf Willy (google his name, part of website is in English where it discusses the wineries personnel, and other parts lists his wines), to buy his excellent red wines. (We were just there again last week. The restaurant Der Adler there has excellent Swabian food, and the winery people can direct you there if desired.) It is signposted as again you are on the Weinstrasse.

There are many other areas near Stuttgart that have extensive wine production, such as the Rems Valley which is however at its best in Spring when the cherry trees are blooming amidst the greening vineyards.

Another thing should be mentioned about wineries, they are allowed to serve food as long as the new wine lasts. These places are called "Besenwirtschaft" as they advertise this by placing a "Besen" (broom) outside. Maybe you will see one in Uhlback or north along the Neckar River. These places are fun to visit as you usually share tables in the owner's dining room if eating inside, or at tables in his backyard. Pitchers of wine (red or white, depending on the vineyard) are served along with traditional Swabian food and the cost is low. The Uhlback, Untertuerkheim and Obertuerkheim areas of Stuttgart will have the most Besenwirtschaften, and I'm sure that the Stuttgart tourist office can be queried for likely prospects as it is no longer a simple thing to know which are open as they take turns being open to extend their season.

The most typical wines of the region are reds, and most are consumed locally.

You do not have to go as a group to taste wines, it can be done by yourself or a few others, but I imagine it should be done in good faith to purchase some wine. Drunk driving laws in Germany are strict and not too much alcohol may put you over the limit, so you should either spit out the wine after tasting, or have a non-drinking driver.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine-wine tasting?

I got interrupted while typing so I forgot a few things. Germany's oldest Sekt (German "champagne") cellar , Kessler-Sektkellerei, is in Esslingen a short distance east of Stuttgart. www.kessler-sektkellerei.de Guided tours are 6 euros and can be made by appointment. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8AM-4:30PM, Fri 8-12:30 and Sat 10-1. Esslingen also has a well preserved Altstadt that is a pleasure to visit.

Another thing I remember from our trip last week is my German wife telling me that the Grossbottwar (NE of Stuttgart) wines have an excellent reputation. A few kilometers further away in this direction the Stiftskirche church in Oberstenfeld is excellent to visit, although the castle above the town is only open on Sundays. Beilstein is just a little further up the road and has a castle with a bird of prey show, and the castle with the walls connecting it down the hillside to part of the castle estate buildings is very picturesque, and one of these buildings is a winery.

Actually, going one way by this way and returning the other way mentioned for Lauffen would make for a very enjoyable trip with way too much to see and do. Unfortunately, both Beilstein and Lauffen are best seen when approaching from the south.

Austin
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine-wine tasting?

Thank you Marcopolko! You have been of great help. I'm sad that we will miss the Wine Village... that sounds like something we would definitely love to enjoy but we'll just have to made do. I'm looking forward to the Swabian food there and hopefully I can find one of those places with a "broom" in front, now that's interesting.

Thanks again, Cheers!

4. Re: wine-wine tasting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 05, 2009