We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to choose one

Which Mannheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need to choose one

On our day from Trier to Heidelberg we can stop at the Cathedral in Worms, Luisenpark or Schloss in Mannheim, or spend time at the Heidelberg Zoo or Castle. What would you choose? It looks like there is probably time for one of them only.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to choose one

Just pick one which matches your interests, you won't be disappointed. I like to visit a variety of things on a trip, and we don't know what you will have seen before and will visit afterwards.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to choose one

My pick would be Worms. The HD Zoo is small; the Castle is very famous, but I think it is best "in general", for photos and views. However, it would be a second choice since to see HD is a memorable experience.

Mannheim Luisenpark is nice, but basically just a park, the schloss is monumental, but I would not go out of my way from either. I choose Worms because of its history as well as the massiveness of the cathedral. It has its roots on the 5th century, it is mentioned in the Nibelung saga, Martin Luther was called there, and it is the site for the famed (and infamous) "Diet of Worms." The city itself has a strong Jewish history, and great town gate and town walls, and location on the Rhine.

New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to choose one

I can support the vote for Worms. I am not Jewish, but visited the Jewish sites and found them very interesting. I think it's Worms that has the Jewish ritual bath (Mikvabad) way down in the rock below street level.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to choose one

Glad to know about how small the zoo is in HD and that basically Luisenpark is just a nice park so that eliminates 2 right away. I was leaning towards Worms anyway so thanks for confirming it. We're coming from Trier and going to Heidelburg so Worms is not that much out of the way. Thanks.

New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to choose one

Trier is a terrific little town. The Roman museum is excellent. And Karl Marx Haus makes Trier a MUST destination for the Chinese Communists. :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to choose one

I'm glad you can stop in HD. You will find the atmosphere lovely, esp. on the northern side of the Neckar which is less touristy but has the great castle views.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to choose one

Thanks I'm excited about this trip. Just have to wait until next April/May/June - have to decide when to leave. This past May we were in France for the month (just got back) and it was cold. In London my wife had to buy gloves and we had 3 layers on. I was thinking of not going next year until mid-May in hopes in would be warmer. But I know it's a crap shoot. We had a great time in France regardless of the cool temps.

8. Re: Need to choose one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mannheim