We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mannheim & day trips

Which Mannheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Mannheim & day trips

My husband and I will be traveling to Mannheim in Oct. Our daughter & her fiancee moved there early Aug, & he plays hockey for Mannheim. We are all new to Germany and would like some tips on places to visit. Day trips to nearby cities, & countries, especially Paris, maybe Italy. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mannheim & day trips

You can get to Paris and northern Italy easily enough, but not really for day trips. Heidelberg and Freiberg are pretty cities nearby. The Rhine valley - especially between Mainz and Koblenz - and the Black Forest are well-worth exploring. Baden-Baden is a bit old-fashioned, but an elegant spa town.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mannheim & day trips

There's a lot of places that you can visit inexpensively nearby using the local transportation network's cheap group day train ticket including Heidelberg and Speyer. Another way to travel about Baden-Wuerttemberg ( www.baden-wuerttemberg.de ; www.tourismus-bw.de ; www.schloesser-magazin.de/en for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens operated by this German state) is using the Baden-Wuerttemberg group (2-5 people) day train ticket for 29€ which includes all public transportation (buses, trams, U-bahns, S-bahns, regional trains) within this state excluding the fast long-distance IC, EC and ICE trains. One other restriction, no travel before 9AM on a weekday. If using this option, then select "use local transportation" on the www.bahn.com website.

Until 9Oct will be the world's second largest beer festival in Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ), the Cannstatter-Volksfest ( www.wasen.de ). Stuttgart has the excellent Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums. Between Mannheim and past Stuttgart there are numerous pleasant towns, castles and vineyards along the Neckar River.

Probably France is the only country to which you can make an inexpensive day trip. Use that B-W day train ticket to Kehl, and then local transportation to the excellent Alsatian city of Strasbourg. Take a boat ride around the island on which the oldtown sits and it also goes past the European parliament buildings. Then return to see places that you found of interest.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mannheim & day trips

Focusing on nothing but large cities is - forgive my honesty - a typical mistake among first-timers from overseas. Include some small towns and countryside in your plans, too.

If you are after that picture of old Germany with half-timbered houses and cobblestone alleys and such, you won't find this in most cities due to World War II. As a rule of thumb, it's the small places that have preserved their historical centres much better. The nearest place to find this is Ladenburg, 15 minutes from Mannheim: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/aa6e/ Bad Wimpfen and Weinheim also deserve a mentioning, as does Michelstadt in the Odenwald hills. A boat cruise on the Neckar from Heidelberg to Hirschhorn and Neckarsteinach should not be missed.

Speyer and Worms both have impressive Romanesque cathedrals and a lot of historical sights.Schwetzingen palace and park are more or less at your doorstep: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/4bcc/

The Black Forest, the Palatinate Forest and the Odenwald are within reach, Vosges aren't too far away. Plenty of options for forest hiking and exploring the countryside. If you are into wines, there are five wine regions within reach. The Pfalz (Palatine) is probably the prettiest with its lovely wine villages.

... just to mention a few options.

By the way, FreiBERG is in Saxony, 7-8 hours away... It is FreiBURG which is a suitable day trip option. Better not confuse them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mannheim & day trips

The closest popular city is Heidelberg, about 20-30 minutes.

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/index_eng.ht…

Also nearby, Speyer, Schwetzingen - both smaller but well known in Germany

www.speyer.de/de/tourist?switch_language=en

http://www.squidoo.com/schwetzingen

Further afield (1-2 Hours) you have many choices, such as Baden-Baden, Strasbourg and Alsace in France, Rhine cruise, etc.

And of course, yes, Paris. Can be done by overnight train, or a few hours drive. There's nothing like Paris!

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mannheim & day trips

I am an American who has been living in Mannheim for the past 3 years and I can say that it is a fantastic city to live in with all of the fantastic towns nearby such as Ladenburg, Neustadt, Worms, Speyer, Weinheim, etc.

I therefore second and fully support the post of BlandineForberg, post number 3. The heart of Germany is in its small towns. It is a huge mistake to only visit larger cities. October is a lovley time to visit this region also. If you are early enough in October, you may still be able to enjoy Neuer Wein on the Weinstraße! Delicious!

Have a lovely trip in this beautiful area of Germany.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mannheim & day trips

Do you have any experience with a public boat tour on the Rhein River ex. Speyer heidelbergWorms

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mannheim & day trips

Do you have any experience with a public boat tour on the Rhein River ex. Speyer heidelbergWorms

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mannheim & day trips

Rhine River boat trips leave out of Mannheim. The Neckar River is a better choice, and leave from Heidelberg instead, going upstream to the town with the four castles, Neckarsteinach. Boat information can be found at www.rnf-schifffahrt.de (e-mail: info@rnf-schifffahrt.de).

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mannheim & day trips

We are making our 3rd voyage to Mannheim in early May of 2012. LOVE it!!! and like so many of you have posted the smaller towns are so much fun to explore. I been to all of the ones mentioned. Last time I took the train to Neckarsteinach -did not realize there was a river tour. I went to the site mentioned above and it was only in German. The 13th of May would fit into my plans but I would a little more details. Where would I pick up the boat in Heidelberg - i have no problem taking the train from Mannheim to Heidelberg but once in town where along the river would the tour boats leave from. Once in Neckarsteinach is there time off the boat? I so enjoyed my day there exploring the 4 castles and walking the trail - would love to do it again.

If anyone can read the German site and lend a hand I would appreciate it very much.

Also, if anyone can think of more towns worth a day trip I would love the help. I am comfortable with the trains and don't mind going a little farther out to explore.

Thanks

Donna

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mannheim & day trips

More small towns around Mannheim? Here you are:

Neustadt an der Weinstraße: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/8675/

Bruchsal: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/1192d/

If you like half-timbered houses: Eppingen members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/ff41/

A hop into France: Wissembourg members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/13f89/

Edenkoben and Villa Ludwigshöhe: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/105ee/

Get answers to your questions about Mannheim