We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mannheim Main Rail Station

Melbourne
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mannheim Main Rail Station

Hi-need some information on the Mannheim Main train station. When I'm travelling end of December I will be 10 weeks post operation. Assumed I'd be fine. The doctor now informs me I can't lift anything until 12 weeks post op. I will have a heavy suitcase which has wheels-(heavier than my 5kg lifting limit). My plan is to- from Frankfurt get the ICE to Mannheim Main Station-then instead of using other public transport, cab it to the hotel where I'm staying.

Do the Frankfurt and Mannheim stations have either ramps, escalators or elevators so I can wheel my case rather than lifting it?

Mentioned in this post
Mannheim
Mannheim
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Radisson Blu Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel
#1 of 45 hotels in Mannheim
Speicher7 Hotel
Speicher7 Hotel
#2 of 45 hotels in Mannheim
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,882 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

From Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (main train station) or from Frankfurt Airport to Mannheim Hauptbahnhof.

Frankfurt Airport long distance train statin (Fernbahnhof) is fairly new and thus state of the art if it comes to barrier freeness.

At Mannheim Hauptbahnhof there are escalators and one of the 2 platform exits (the one between sectors C and D). And a lift at the one between sectors A and B.

station map Mannheim Hauptbahnhof

bahnhof.de/site/…bahnhofsplan__mannheim.pdf

Edited: 7:27 pm, December 04, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Mannheim
Mannheim
Melbourne
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

Thanks so much for all your valuable advice-I'm feeling relieved. Yes it's Frankfurt Airport.. I just remember Paris (2005), all the steps we had to climb and how all the wheels on our suitcases were virtually useless. Just about everything in Australia and when I travel in the US is made wheelchair accessable so I didn't factor climbing steps in.

I won't have a problem travelling to Munich or Berlin as I will take a much smaller/lighter suitcase with wheels which can also be used as a backpack.

*This site is so helpful- I didn't know about it when I did my trip to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Melbourne
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

I must add also -I'm so looking forward to this trip. I'm getting fantastic reports from my 25 year old daugher. She's loving the Christmas spirit. Every night she walks home from work, through the Christmas markets and the snow. I don't think she's ever experienced snow or a white Christmas before.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

Of course you'll have to do some minor lifting getting on and off the train. Also, luggage storage at floor level is quite limited. A good possibility is behind the seats at either end of the train car, otherwise leave the suitcase near the doorways making sure not to block them. There is quite a bit of overhead storage, but you'll certainly not want to lift you suitcase to use it.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

www.bahnhofsmission.de/index.php…

Contact these guys in advance, and ask them to send someone to help you transport your luggage and board the train because... etc. The train station mission (Bahnhofsmission) helps everyone for free who needs help. The link takes you straight to their address in Mannheim station and their e-mail. Writing or phoning in English should be perfectly fine.

Mentioned in this post
Mannheim
Mannheim
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

Could you send your luggage ahead, take a companion, or have someone meet you? There is no way to get the luggage on and off the train without a lot of lifting.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

Thanks so much for all your helpful information. My travelling companion is not coming as I'm travelling to meet my daughter. I'm arriving in Frankfurt at 5am and this is my middle child who can be vague at the best of times. I would worry more about her getting lost, not being punctual, etc. (My other two childrn are totally different-my youngest daughter is a lawyer, my son a computer software developer. I've thought it through and I might just ask another traveller to assisst me with the parts where my suitcase has to be lifted.( I could tip them.) I often find when travelling solo there are usually generous males who offer to help me anyway. I will try to contact the Bahnhofmission too. I was just worried I would have to carry it up and down long flights of stairs as i had to in paris. By the time I travel home I'll be over three months out from surgery and hopefully stronger.

*One more question-when you get close to Mannheim are announcements made to get ready to get off the ICE train or do they allow plenty of time to get off.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Mannheim
Mannheim
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

>I've thought it through and I might just ask another traveller to assisst me with the parts where my suitcase has to be lifted.( I could tip them.)

Definitely not. Being demonstratively nice is one thing; randomly slipping around small amounts of money is rather "not done".

Melbourne
Level Contributor
503 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

Thanks for the hint- That's why I love travelling. You learn so much about other cultures and even about your own. I guess I'm used to travelling to the US where you're surrounded by peope always working and 'begging' for tips and even in Paris i asked someone where the nearest restroom was and he wanted a tip.

Here in Australia-tipping is not the norm or an expectation. We like to think we're genuinely nice people who would help anyone in need. I often help little old ladies struggling off and on public transport.

Hopefully I'll be fine. I'm feeling stronger this week after feeling like I'd plateued and with all that Christmas turkey in my belly. Who knows?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
10. Re: Mannheim Main Rail Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 06, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Mannheim