We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

It's me again. We have a four day German Rail Pass. One day will be Dusseldorf to Karlsruhe - another day will be back to Dusseldorf. Any suggestions on where we should go the other two days? Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

You don't need a German rail pass to visit places in the area. A Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket allows you to inexpensively use all regional trains in this German state, plus the buses, trams, U-bahns and S-bahns, and also regional trains to some places beyond its borders. For some excellent ideas of places to visit, look at www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de which describes the monasteries, castles, palaces and gardens operated by this German state.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

Freiburg

Baden-Baden

Wissembourg(Alsace)

Kinzig valley in the Black Forest (Gengenbach, Schiltach, Wolfach, Vogtsbauernhof open-air museum)

Strasbourg

Schwetzingen palace

Heidelberg

Bad Wimpfen

Speyer

Maulbronn Abbey

... just to name a few options. Google these names.

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

We did the twin pass because the ICE from Dusseldorf to Karlsruhe on the day we arrive was a good part of the rail pass price since we can't buy the tickets ahead in case our plane is late or we have trouble navigating to the hauptbahnhof. We are in Karlsruhe for one week so we were thinking of maybe a day trip to Triberg (we are tourists after all) and then maybe to Freiburg or Basel. Any opinions on these? Other than that we are planning to rent bikes for the week and spend a lot of time just bike riding around-which for us would be about 50KM a day at most. I lived there for two years and just want to wander around the KA area and go to Ettlingen and Bad Herrenalb, etc. It is the husband's first trip.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

If the weather is good on the day of your day trip, I'd head for Freiburg and then take a connecting train to Titisee. It is a small village on a lake. You can take a boat tour of the lake and even rent boats. Some people complain that it is "touristy", but as you point out, you are tourists. From Freiburg to Titisee, sit on the right side of the train carriage in the direction of travel for the best views. Then you can spend the remainder of the day in Freiburg.

If the weather is poor and you like auto museums, you could check out the Mercedes and/or Porsche museums in Stuttgart. Each of the museums is accessible by S-bahn trains and your rail pass would be valid on such trains (but not the U-bahns).

Triberg is also a small village like Titisee, but it has a waterfall instead of a lake. You could combine a day trip there with Baden-Baden, easily. It is a short walk from the Triberg rail station to the waterfall but it is a steep journey in some spots.

From Karlsruhe, Munich is even a possibility by getting an early start and using the ICE trains.

When travelling from Karlsruhe to Dusseldorf, you could stop in at Cologne (park your bags at the rail station) and spend part of the day there. Nearby Bonn is also a good choice if you've already visited Cologne.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

You can take your bikes for free after 9 a.m. on trams and regional trains in the KVV network, which drastically widens your options for bike tours.

For example: Grab your bikes and hop on the S1 up to Bad Herrenalb, then cycle back down the Alb valley. There are some interesting stops along the way, like the convent ruins of Frauenalb and the freaky and fun car museum in Marxzell: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/22ab88/ and finally Ettlingen.

Or visit Favorite summer palace in Rastatt-Förch (S 31 or S 41 to Kuppenheim) and the big palace in Rastatt: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/67cd/

The trails along the Rhine banks, the Kraichgau hills, the Murg valley, Southern Palatine and Northern Alsace offer plenty of options for bike tours or combinations of bike and tram/train.

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

Thank you Blandine and TelePort - WONDERFUL ideas! I'll report back and let you know how it all went-or perhaps be able to buy you a glass of wine if I see a groundhog (wombat? guinea pig?) at the weinstube!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

LOL... It's a wombat, his name is Russell, and he loves wine, and travels, and the internet: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/109541/

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

I thought I recognized him!!!! Brilliant idea for fun pictures! I loved his stay in Bad Herrenalb on VT!!!

9. Re: Day trips on train from Karlsruhe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, June 20, 2014