We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

Which Heidelberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
united states
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

I am travelling to Heidelberg in June 2014. I am considering taking a flight out of Frankfurt airport and am wondering how much time to allow - I see there is a bus service operated by

Traco Tour that appears to be reasonable and convenient - it calls for one hour of travel time.

Not knowing the scope of the airport or time required for international flights - what are the suggestions of the forum?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

You can take the Lufthansa Airport Bus (operated by Traco Tours) or take the trains.

lufthansa.com/online/…

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Heidelberg Hbf

Destination: Frankfurt(M)Flughafen

With either option you'll arrive at Terminal 1. If you take the trains you can check-in directly at the AIRail Terminal if this is offered by your airline.

frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airp…

For a flight to the USA I would say be latest 2,5 hours before the flight at the airport.

united states
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

Hello:

It does not appear that my airline has an AIRail check-in.....would the DB be considered part of the Konus card program?

united states
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

I believe my flight via IcelandAir may be leaving from terminal 2.....have you any comment on how to travel between a drop off at terminal 1 and getting to terminal 2?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

The shuttle bus ride (Lufthansa/Traco Bus) itself is one hour. (unless there is autobahn traffic). It is easy to get around and to the bus at the airport - just ask at the information booth for what you need. I would also add 90 min. at airport for check-in, etc. So yes 2.5 hours, but I like more cushion, so I would say 3 hrs. from either Crown Plaza or HD main station.

I prefer the bus to the train because there are no changes, no carrying luggage, etc.

It also depends on your hotel. The bus stops at the Crown Plaza Hotel which is closer to Old Town Heidelberg than the main railroad station.

Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

Hope I'm not too late reviving this thread. We need to do the reverse trip next month. The problem is that our plane is scheduled to arrive at Frankfurt at 8:30 so booking the 10:00 bus would seem to work well. But what happens if the plane is late? Will the ticket be valid for a later bus? Assuming of course that a seat is available.

6. Re: Transfer to Frankfurt Aiport from Heidelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, March 15, 2015