We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz to Heidelberg

Which Heidelberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa Bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Mainz to Heidelberg

In December we will be on a river cruise and have a stop in Mainz and will travel to Heidelberg for a tour. I am presuming the trip will be about 2 hours each way. That will give us about 4-5 hours in Heidelberg. Other than seeing the castle, what else do you suggest? We like scenery and the old part of town. Thanks for any suggestions.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

Does this tour of Heidelberg not include any specific sights, activities, or destinations? If not, it's not really a tour, and you can easily transport yourselves to Heidelberg by train for a modest sum (about 40€ for two with local and regional daypasses) and do your own tour.

Before choosing Heidelberg, however, I would want to have some time in Mainz' old town zone and at the Christmas market there near the Dom, and possibly in Rüdesheim's Christmas market as well (very atmospheric in the evening.) R'heim is also accessible by train from Mainz.

Tampa Bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

We have to choose between a full day tour of Heidelberg and a half day tour of Mainz. We have never been to Heidelberg so that is what we chose. I just want some other ideas of what to do beside the castle.

Thanks for your reply.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

"We have to choose between a full day tour of Heidelberg and a half day tour of Mainz." Wow, that's interesting - I always thought such add-on tours were optional, and that they would offer some kind of itinerary or at least suggested activities.

So if your transportation to Heidelberg is a given, and you need to figure out this tour on your your own, then you should check into what Heidelberg says about Heidelberg:

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/index_eng.ht…

And here is Tripadvisor's "Things to do" page for Heidelberg:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187286-Activiti…

Tampa Bay
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

Thanks, Russ. The TripAdvisor.com site was wonderful. I want to find the other cities we will be visiting as I can get some ideas. We will be in Munich for three days.

Thanks for helping.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

I hope you get some time to explore Mainz as well - it's a wonderful city, with masses to see & do - I can't imagine what might be included in a 'half day tour' -we had 2.5 days and still have things to see. I'd also try to find a way to fit in the Rudesheim Xmas market - so pretty

The visitors centre in Heidelberg (directly outside the station - right near the tram stop) has a map/plan of a walking tour - there are some great things to see and you'll also get to visit the Xmas Markets - just wandering along the Alstadt is fantastic too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

Heidelberg is good for walking and wandering. Make sure to cross the bridge across the Neckar and stroll along to get a good view of the city, castle. If its not too cold, you might walk up Philosopher's Way, tho it is a bit strenuous. Some people like to visit the Student's Prison in town. Some churches may have live organ music going on, since they practice on off hours. So just stop in some churches off Hauptstrasse. Esp. Holy Ghost Church. If you like shopping, there's some nice shops along Hauptstrasse as well as the very interesting Christmas Market.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

What ship are you on? We are traveling on SS Antoinette, Uniworld, leaving on Dec. 7.

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

HD (offical code for Heidelberg) is a beautiful city. It survived World War II fairly well but not so well from previous wars. The destruction of the Castle towers and most of the city was done by the French in 1693. So the archtecture is not as old as some of the nearby villages but still quaint. You said you like scenery, The best views of HD is from the West bank of the Neckar. Someone already mentioned the Philosohpers way. At the top of that same ridge is a structure called the "Thingstadt". It is an open air amphitheater built by the Nazis to hold rallies and now are used for plays . Further along the trail past the Thingstadt are the ruins of a medeval monistary.

9. Re: Mainz to Heidelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 23, 2014