We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Heidelberg

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Heidelberg

We are travelling to Heidelberg in early September, we are staying at the Holiday Inn Heidelberg.

Does anyone know of some good places to eat nearby? We would like to try some traditional German food while we are there.

We are staying for 2 and half days - is this enough time to do everything that we want to do? - Visit the castle and old town, the philosopher's walk and go on a river cruise and possibly explore the Neckarsteinach castles?

What is the public transport system like at night? We will probably get a Heidelberg card which I think might give discounts on public transport.

Any ideas are appreciated :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

Why have you chosen the Holiday Inn Heidelberg? Are you using reward points? From what I have read, the hotel is outside the main tourist area - the Altstadt or Old Town. If you don't have a car and aren't using reward points, I would suggest you look for a hotel directly in the Altstadt, so you will be in the thick of things.

The Goldener Hecht hotel comes to mind. It's situated facing the river at the old bridge. Fabulous location, comfortable and not too expensive.

If in the old town (even just visiting), I would recommend the Goldene Schaf (sp?) on Haupstrasse. Great atmosphere and good food (it's part of the Hip Hotel). Also, Vetter's is famous "watering hole", which serves good, inexpensive food right down from the old bridge and a couple doors down from Hackteufel, which is another good place to eat. Most places will have a menu placard, with daily offerings, outside the front door. Take a look and see what you like.

Two and a half days should be fine, as long as you plan for your river cruise and the Neckarsteinach castles. If you do stay in the altstadt, you will have easy walking access to Heidelberg castle and the Philosopher's Way (a bit of a hike uphill). Because we have always stayed directly in the old town or within walking distance, I can't comment on public transportation.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

Since May 2013 this hotel firms under Leonardo Hotel Heidelberg.

leonardo-hotels.de/deutschland-hotels/hotel-…

That's a hotel for business travelers. Easy access by car. But with 5 km quite some distance to the Altstadt (old town). Public transport connections are however OK. Direct bus connections to Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and Bismarckplatz (the western end of the Altstadt). But only every 30 minutes.

VRN timetable

fahrplanauskunft.vrn.de/vrn/…

To: Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof

To: Heidelberg Bismarckplatz

Don't know this part of Kirchheim. The closest restaurants seem are named "Makedonia" and "Liberty's Pizza".

http://makedonia-hd.de/index.php?lang=english

http://www.bad4all.de/ (which is indeed a bad designed page)

Reviews are however good. They are close to Patrick-Henry-Village. Thus English will be no problem.

HeidelbergCARD covers local public transport inside Heidelberg (VRN zone 125) for free.

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/tourism/heid…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

First you should check this website for lots of info on Heidelberg:

http://www.tourism-heidelberg.com

(I usually recommend the site that abalada posted, but this is a good second choice.)

Two days is good for HD, although of course you could do more. The Neckar boat cruise is good; you can also take the S-Bahn trains along the Neckar and stop at Neckarsteinach. You might want to go as far as Eberbach, which is only 1/2 hr. ride.

You will of course see the Heidelberg castle, although I enjoy the view from the castle, and the streets around it more than the ruins themself.

Be sure to stop in the Tourist Office outside the main train station - there are many events around town, and sometimes in English (there is still an strong presence in HD). For simple food, Vetters is good; they also brew their own beer. Its very popular,

http://www.brauhaus-vetter.de

HD is very nice to just walk around, on both sides of the River, and take in the atmosphere/

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

Thanks for the replies,

Our travel agent placed us at the Holiday Inn for some reason - perhaps a special deal or something?

It's a shame that it is out of the old town, hopefully we will get the hang of the buses. So, from our hotel will we have to get transport to the main train station and then catch the bus to the old town, or are there nearby bus stops which will take us to the old town?

I've never been to Europe so sorry if these questions seem totally obvious.

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

The Schutzenhaus restaurant is 3 kilometers away from your hotel in Eppleheim. A local, non tourist, non fancy place, with good food and large portions. I had a great meal here with our large family that live here. Here are the reviews: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

If you aren't the adventurous type, and want no hassle, just grab a taxi from your hotel, will cost maybe 10- 15 Euro. It is only a 5 minute ride downtown.

http://www.brauhaus-vetter.de/ a good local place downtown. No matter where you stop I am sure you will have a good meal and a good time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

> or are there nearby bus stops which will take us to the town?

From the bus stop "Im Bieth" close to your hotel you've direct buses to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) as well as to the Bismarckplatz which marks the western end of the Altstadt (old town).

…heidelberg.de/Altstadt-Information/english/…

Bismarckplatz is in the first row, 5th column. The streets in yellow are pedestrian zones.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

Thankyou for the suggestions. I can't wait to get Heidelberg, I'm sure that I will be able to figure out the buses and if not then I suppose I will have to go for the taxi option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

The busses are not complicated. When you leave the main rail station, go just outside to the tourist office. The busses stop next to it. They will give you all the info you need on transportation, as well as other activities.

I hope this map helps and doesn't confuse. You will see the Hauptbanhof in the Left/Center area near Bergheim.

rnv-online.de/fileadmin/user_upload/download…

Another option is to take the "S-Bahn" train (commuter line, right in main train station) to Karlstor, which is right below Old Town and only about 10 min. ride.

You can also take this train further, perhaps on another day, along the Neckar River and pass a few of the "castle towns." Its a nice ride, half-hour or so. You can also get off at any of these towns for a visit. Check with tourist office for train pass.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

Thankyou, hopefully I will be able to figure it out, it doesn't sound too complicated :)

10. Re: First trip to Heidelberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, July 26, 2014