We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours parking on Sat.

Which Heidelberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A few hours parking on Sat.

We'll be stopping over in Heidelberg for a day trip by car on Sat. Sept. 24th en route to Mainz and are hoping to tour Schwetzingen Castle right after Heidelberg. We are planning on Heidelberg Castle, a walking tour of the old city and a stroll along the Philosopher’s Walk if time permitting.

I read about parking issues on Sat., and am wondering where should we park our car? Can anyone recommend an easy to find and generally available parking space close to the old city?

We’ll start from Baden-Baden in the early morning, stop over in Heidelberg and Schwetzingen, and finally arrive in Mainz in the late afternoon or early evening on Sat. Is any other town or village worth a quick stopover on this route?

We are leaving for Germany in a couple of days. Thanks for any input!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

Just look on google maps for a parking garage near where you want to go. You shouldn't worry about this things. When I am in a unknown german city, i follow the sign to 'Altstadt' or 'Center' and when I feel like I am in the centre, I follow the 'Parking' signs.

Edited: 9:28 am, September 09, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

There may be some street parking near the Castle, since it is up on a hill, not really in the center of town, but above it. Still, public garage may be better.

Please be aware that Schwetzingen Castle and Heidleberg Castle are rather different. Heidleberg, although mostly ruins, is a traditonal mostly rennasiance castle; Schwetzingen is baroque, built later, more like an old (and lovely) government building with beautiful grounds and gardens; the gardens are the main attraction rather than the "castle" building.

Enjoy!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

Schwetzingen doesn't have a castle. It has a palace - a representative building without even a trace of defensive / military function.

What you see in Heidelberg are the ruins of a transitional building - it still had defensive functions but was mainly representative.

Edited: 11:39 am, September 09, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

For information on Heidelberg and Schwetzingen Palaces, look at www.schloesser-magazin.de/en . In there will also be other places that you can visit around and between Baden-Baden and Heidelberg.

boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

Thank you all for the information!

I assume there is no problem to find a parking space on these parking garages close to the old city on Sat. Try to avoid driving around from garage to garage for an available space.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

Signs for parking garages in many places tell the number of empty parking spots in them. It's probably a good idea to print from your computer a map of the part of Heidelberg you're interested in that also shows the parking garages so you can pick the closest one to where you are going although distances won't be very far.

boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

It's nice to know that the parking signs tell the number of empty spots. I'll print out the map to bring with me. We don't mind walking 15-20 minutes from parking lot.

Many thanks!

8. Re: A few hours parking on Sat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 20, 2012