We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Which Heidelberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

I have 3 questions:

1. How much does it cost and how long does it take to take a train from Mannheim to Heidelberg?

2. Can we ( my wife and I) then take a taxi to the international school? Is there any cheaper alternative?

3. If we want to spend the rest of the day at Heidelberg, does it make sense to buy the Heidelberg Card?

Danke.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,550 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

DB timetable

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

To: Heidelberg Berufsschule

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Get off at stop „Heidelberg Berufsschule“ (behind the garden of H.I.S.). Walk around school property to front of building.

Buy a VRN Ticket 24 PLUS for Mannheim to Heidelberg. A 24 hours ticket for 2-5 persons traveling together. EUR 14,80. Covers the regional trains, S-Bahn and tram line between both cities. And also the trams and buses in both cities..

HeidelbergCard makes no sense as it includes only local public transport in Heidelberg, which is however already covered by the VRN Ticket 24 PLUS.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Mannheim/Heidelberg is about half hour or less. A train leaves every half-hour. "S" Bahn is better and has 3 stops in HD, Karlstor (near Castle), Weststadt (near "downtown" HD center and Bahnhof (main station).

Taxi is too expensive.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Can I use the VRN ticket to get from Heidelberg to Bingen as well as from Mannheim to Heidelberg?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

No, the VRN area goes not that far into this direction.

vrn.de/imperia/…vrn_karte_pfadtypo_4c_low.pdf

Bingen is in a the RNN local public transport network.

From Mannheim (not from Heidelberg) can use a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket to get to Bingen.

der-takt.de/uploads/media/6198_RPT_Streckenn…

Northern Philippines
Level Contributor
43 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

We will be staying in Heidelberg in September. To get to the nearby towns we thinking of the Quer-Durchs-Land-Ticket at 60 Euros for 4 of us for all day travel. I understand it can be used on the S-Bahn and other regional trains.

I welcome your comments and suggestions

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Which "nearby towns" are you planning to visit? If these are really near Heidelberg there are surely cheaper alternatives. The Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket makes sense if you cover medium to longer distances across borders of federal states.

If your destination is within Baden-Württemberg, for example, there is the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket for 35 € for four people. If it is within the VRN network there are even cheaper options, as mentioned in the first reply.

Northern Philippines
Level Contributor
43 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

We want to visit the Black Forest definitely plus the wife wants Schwetzingen, Manheim and Wurzburg.

Many thanks for your help!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Black Forest: entire trip is inside Baden-Württemberg, the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket is your best bet.

Schwetzingen and Mannheim both are within the VRN network, hence a case for the abovementioned VRN-Ticket 24 Plus. (Which zones? Abalada?!)

Würzburg is in Bavaria, this is a longer trip across a federal state border. Here the Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket makes sense.

Northern Philippines
Level Contributor
43 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Many Thanks for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Mannheim to Heidelberg

Würzburg is within both the local VRN network, and also the Baden-Wuerttemberg one. No need for another more expensive ticket.