We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating where locals do!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Eating where locals do!

Me and my family would like to know a place to dinner in Heidelberg, near Willy Brandt Platz or a place not far from it, but not very touristy, a place where locals go to eat typical food at cheap prices...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating where locals do!

Willy Brandt Platz is right near the main railroad station, and not the most interesting part of town. However, right across the street is a very upscale restaurant in the Print Media Building

Schwarz Das Restaurant (0.6 mile(s))

Located at the Print Media Academy modern building on the 12th floor, managed by star chef Manfred Schwarz, offering gourmet cuisine with a regional touch, includes an aperitif bar, a smoker's lounge and a great view of the city.

Open for dinner

Dress code: Formal

Phone: 49 6221 75 70

They also have a nice lounge.

http://www.schwarzdasrestaurant.com/

If you want to go a bit further, I would suggest Vetter, near the bridge and the Neuenheim area. It is a popular pub, with own beer, salad plates, small meals, and more informal.

http://www.brauhaus-vetter.de/

Wann, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
96 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating where locals do!

Vetters, Vetters!!! Love it!

I also enjoy the Golden Falke on the Hauptstrasse.

http://www.goldener-falke-heidelberg.de/

If you truly want a locals for cheap price then you must try a Donner Kebab that is local fast food that is wonderful. These are fast food establishments that offer a great solution. geschmack.wordpress.com/category/doner-kebab/

There is a great donner place midway on the Hauptstrasse next to Tony's or there is Food Corner mentioned in the article Neugasse 21 69117 Heidelberg

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating where locals do!

thank you all...precious tips!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating where locals do!

Hi, I used to live in Heidelberg, and my favorite place to eat was the village of Rohrbach. It's really now more of a suburb of Heidelberg, but it's still got that village feel.

Anyway, the restaurant I liked was called Traube (Rathausstraße 75, 69126). It's definitely not going to win any Michelin awards, but it has (or at least had, it's been a few years) good, hearty, typical German food in a traditional guest house setting. Good ambience, nice village atmosphere, and you are unlikely to run into any tourists.

It is not close to Willy Brandt Platz, but there is a Strassenbahn (tram) stop at Willy Brandt Platz, and there is Strassenbahn stop about 500 yards from the restaurant (it's a straight shot up Rathausstrasse), which would make it a fairly easy trip. Just ask someone at the train station how to ride the tram to Rohrbach (the stop is Rohrbach Markt).

If you don't feel like making the journey to Rohrbach, I do suggest making your way over to the Hauptstrasse. There's no shortage of restaurants there, that's for sure. While they may have tourists in them, you will have no trouble finding one with lots of locals in it as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating where locals do!

I really like Rohrbach, it is usually where I stay in HD. Interestingly, early records on Rorhbach were found fro 734 AD and some buildings standing in the area date to 1000.

I also like Traube, I have eaten there a few times. Very cozy and typical. They serve wine from their own vineyards.

http://weinrestaurant-traube.de/

(translate)

There are also some other good local places in Rohrbach. Rohrbach is only 10 or 15 min, south of HD and worth a trip, since it is not touristic.

www.heidelberg-rohrbach.com/EingangFrame.htm

(translate to English)

A walk along Panoramastr, thru the vineyards and up into the Odenwald forest is lovely, entrance right off Panoramastr. or via the very interesting cemetery with famous graves of Heidelberg professors, (such as Bunsen from Bunsen burner)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating where locals do!

It's interesting that you should write about Rohrbach's historic buildings, as it did feel like it had a strong sense of history and identity, even if thoroughly incorporated into Heidelberg. I recall that there were also a couple of old mills converted into homes that were rather scenic, and that the clump of homes nestled around the church still seemed a bit Medieval (in a good way that is). There are also plenty of trails running up the forested hill above Rohrbach, and at the crest of the hill there are some beautiful green pastures. It was great for a walk followed by dinner.

With all there is to see and do in Heidelberg, I wouldn't say Rohrbach should be a first priority, but if you've got some extra time there and looking for something "local", why not?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating where locals do!

Thank you so much...I am writing down!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating where locals do!

We would suggest Krokodil in Blumenstr. Weststadt. Closr to train station.

krokodil-heidelberg.de/de/…

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating where locals do!

That's a really good idea too, especially since it would be easier to get to than Rohrbach. If you go there, after dinner be sure just to walk down one more block and go to the Weststadt square. There are tables set up on the square and it's a great place for a glass of wine. The Weststadt itself is a very nice neighborhood and worth a stroll.

10. Re: Eating where locals do!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2012