We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Forest Railway.

Which Freiburg im Breisgau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Black Forest Railway.

Dear all,

I am planning on staying in Freiburg for 3 nights. Ideally I would love to visit Triberg to visit the waterfall, Baden and go on the Schwarzwaldbahn. Would this be possible in one day starting and finishing back at Freiburg? We would be relying on public transport. I have tried researching this but am really struggling to find info and I'm confused as one route seems only to say the black forest train goes from Freiburg – Titisee but another site states it only from Baden, I understand there are probably many lines but could anyone please recommend a scenic route on a traditional steam train.

Thank you in advance.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Forest Railway.

> I understand there are probably many lines but could anyone please recommend a scenic route on a traditional steam train.

Sorry, what does a traditional steam train have to do with the Black Forest rail lines?

Except for the Sauschwänzlebahn at the Swiss border (Blumberg-Weizen) which is not even really in the Black Forest there are no museum steam railways in BF.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Forest Railway.

The Schwarzwaldbahn route is operated by modern passenger trains - no steam trains. The route runs from Karlsruhe to Konstanz via Baden-Baden, Offenburg, through the Kinzig valley, then via Hornberg and Triberg across the mountain chain to Villingen and Donaueschingen, and further through the Hegau to Konstanz. The most interesting part is between Offenburg and Donaueschingen, which can easily be fit into a round trip from Freiburg, combined with the route through Höllental via Titisee.

"Baden" is, by the way, the name for the whole region and historical territory from the Odenwald in the North along the Rhine and parts of the Black Forest to the shores of Bodensee. The town you are refrring to is named "Baden-Baden".

LONDON
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Altamiro this is why I'm asking I've never been!! There is a lot of conflicting information if you check out the reviews on here for the railway someone has wrote there is a stream train and as I can't find much info on the internet as I orginally wrote I decided to ask on here! I really can't understand why you answered if you’re not going to offer any sensible advice other than to contradict!! But thanks anyway!

BlandineForberg thank you, very helpful.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Here's a map of the Black Forest Railway (in red):

posten60.de/streckenbeschreibung/stb-bilder-…

The Freiburg-Titisee and beyond route is called the "Hell's Valley" Railway - also a scenic line.

Modern equipment (like this double-decker sightseeing train) gets you around the BF:

www.bensbauernhof.com/russschwarzwaldbahn.jpg

You would do better to stay OUTSIDE Freiburg - 139 smaller BF towns offer the Konus Card, a guest card you can use to ride the rails throughout the BF for FREE. Freiburg does not offer the Konus Card. But if you stay in an outlying village (like Kirchzarten) you can be in Freiburg in a few minutes and take the train wherever you like around the BF (even to Basel, CH) for nothing. Konus information:

www.dreisamtal.de/en/service/konus.php…

Edited: 9:29 am, August 09, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Look at what I wrote in #3 of tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187276-i703-k4100… . There are a number of possible steam train jouneys in Baden-Wuerttemberg, and a few of them include parts of the Black Forest. However, these aren't regular train service.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Forest Railway.

We stayed a few weeks ago in Kirchzarten, about 10 miles outside Freiburg and connected by train every half hour. The hotel issues a free travel card [Konus] which we used on several trains up to Baden Baden but didn't go down to Triberg by rail. Kirchzarten is on the Hell Valley Line and the trains go from Freiburg to Neustadt or Schuluchtsee alternately. Beyond Neustadt the line continues on to Donaueschengin but we didn't see any timetable with connecting trains. There is a very comprehensive local bus network also but schedules are hard to come by. These are covered by Konus also. No doubt with a bit of patience you can work out all kinds of trips using train and bus in the region. We had a car so the commute into Freiburg and a few side trips by train was the extent of our Konus usage.

There are a number of Steam Lines in the general area. We visited the Sauschwänzlebahn [see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wutach_Valley_Railway for an English explanation]

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Thanks for some great inputs....I have a few questions: -

1. To visit Gengenbach via Offenburg then onto Hausach then Villingen and finally to Titisee, which is the Railway I have to take - The Hells Valley one or the Double Decker?

2. Are these railroads from Baden Baden or Frieburg only?

3. Are these run by DB Bahn too? I can use my German Rail Twin passes here?

Thank you.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Forest Railway.

"1. To visit Gengenbach via Offenburg then onto Hausach then Villingen..."

This is called the Black Forest Railway. Most trains that do this route are the double-decker variety.

After Villingen, the BF railway takes you to Donaueschingen. From there to Titisee and beyond to Freiburg you are on the Hells Valley line. (You may or may not have to change trains in D'eschingen depending on your travel time.)

"2. Are these railroads from Baden Baden or Frieburg only?"

I don't really understand your question. Baden-Baden doesn't lie on either of these train lines. But if you will be in Baden-Baden, you can still use the train to travel the BF Railway (some trains from Baden-Baden will require a change in Offenburg, others from Baden-Baden are direct trains that just make a stop in Offenburg.) Freiburg lies on the Hells Valley route. But of course you can start there and head to the BF railway line (make a change of train in Offenburg.)

You should play with the DB itinerary page, which gives you all the connections:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You can of course use a German Railpass for the train routes you find at the DB site. That will however be costlier than the completelyFREE transport you get with the KONUS card I mentioned above. (Save your railpass days for somewhere else, or buy a pass with fewer days.)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
156 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Thanks for your comprehensive response.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Forest Railway.

Hi, i am larry from Singapore. i will be travelling from innbruck (austria) to blackforest in germany. could you kindly what are the names of eurail train stations of blackforest ? where are the most scenic areas in black forest?

Get answers to your questions about Freiburg im Breisgau